• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I don't know what to do next, I feel sooo helpless!!! :-(

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
I'm very sorry this is happening to your Pi :(

My Leto bird was sneezing a bunch and had wet (clear) secretions when it was going on. He was on Batril by mouth and antibiotic drops in his nostrils for a week.

Also, because of the cold dry environment, my vet has me putting Leto in the bathroom for a steam shower. I do this daily for 10-20 min. I think this has really really helped!

Good luck!
When Bella does the sneezing a whole bunch, there is no secretions coming out of her nares

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Think hard, anything in your house that is happening during this? Stove use, heat on, cleaning products... anything?

Start taking notes.
No, nothing is happening like the things you mentioned. The heat is on now but she was doing it back in the summer but I'm finding she's doing it more now.

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Could also be an allergy. My suspicion is the dust and dry air are at least part of the problem.
Come to think of it...Bella is between my African Grey and my Quaker and he is pretty dusty too! They are a fair bit apart so they can't get on each other's cages but in the same general area. I wonder if I should move her for a while, I did have a couple of air purifiers running but one died and the other one I can not find where to buy filters for it...I have tried everywhere. Is there such a thing as an air purifier/humidifier machine combined???

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
like @Macawnutz said is there any thing that gets sprayed in the air, spray starch, hairspray of any form, dry shampoo, carpet freshner ,carpets being cleaned, dryer exhaust,,,,,,, Anything??

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A combination unit does not do either job very well because it's combined.

What you want in an air filter is one that is rated for a much bigger area than you will use it in. It's almost a "commercial use" situation. You also want it to be a "hepa" type filter so it actually gets the harmful particles. Cheap machines don't.

There are expensive machines. Depends on your budget. The best bang for your buck is a Honeywell hepa filter at a place like home depot. Filters are reasonable and easily found

The bigger the better. You need to clean the air.

I use this one.
Honeywell True HEPA Large Console | The Home Depot Canada

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
A combination unit does not do either job very well because it's combined.

What you want in an air filter is one that is rated for a much bigger area than you will use it in. It's almost a "commercial use" situation. You also want it to be a "hepa" type filter so it actually gets the harmful particles. Cheap machines don't.

There are expensive machines. Depends on your budget. The best bang for your buck is a Honeywell hepa filter at a place like home depot. Filters are reasonable and easily found

The bigger the better. You need to clean the air.

I use this one.
Honeywell True HEPA Large Console | The Home Depot Canada
Thank=you JL....They do sell these at The Home Depot in Barrie, ON. I will be purchasing one ASAP!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope the air filter helps. Otherwise hope the vet can figure it out.

:sadhug2:

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
You also want it to be a "hepa" type filter
I know what John meant to say here - but to clarify you do NOT want a "HEPA-type" filter, you want the actual true HEPA.

The Honeywell ones are good. I have the big one, and I go through 3 filters a year with 2 cockatiels!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just seeing this, these threads get lost in our forum sometimes, I hope your little baby is OK!

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
I know what John meant to say here - but to clarify you do NOT want a "HEPA-type" filter, you want the actual true HEPA.

The Honeywell ones are good. I have the big one, and I go through 3 filters a year with 2 cockatiels!
Soooo... The Honeywell True Hepa Large Console that John recommended???? :)

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
I went and purchased the Air purifier that John suggested last night! :) I have it running on "Turbo" since last night to give the room a good cleaning. Should I turn it down to "Allergen" after a while??? Also Bella is still having her episodes, back to the Vet tomorrow for an xray and I have contacted a mobile Avian Vet that is coming to my house on Mon to see her :). I sure hope I get some answers tomorrow. JL Cribber???

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I went and purchased the Air purifier that John suggested last night! :) I have it running on "Turbo" since last night to give the room a good cleaning. Should I turn it down to "Allergen" after a while??? Also Bella is still having her episodes, back to the Vet tomorrow for an xray and I have contacted a mobile Avian Vet that is coming to my house on Mon to see her :). I sure hope I get some answers tomorrow. JL Cribber???
@JLcribber

You have been tagged for her....

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Even if the air purifier does not help her, it is a great thing for both of you to have regardless. Breathing in all that feather dust is definitely not good for you. You'll wonder why you went so long without one when you go to clean it for the first time, trust me :wtf:

I do hope the vet has some answers for you. Good luck!

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Even if the air purifier does not help her, it is a great thing for both of you to have regardless. Breathing in all that feather dust is definitely not good for you. You'll wonder why you went so long without one when you go to clean it for the first time, trust me :wtf:

I do hope the vet has some answers for you. Good luck!
OMG!!! That is what your filter looks like and you only have 2 Cockatiels, right??? Ewww LOL

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
I just got back from the Vet's not long ago...They took an xray and she said she see's patterning in her lungs and not as much air is getting in there as she would like. She see's a bit of white specks in Bella's gissard area which may be lead poisoning. She showed me an xray taken yesterday of an African Grey and those white spots were very prominate, Bella's xray did not look like the Grey's. So, a fecal test was done for parasites and it was normal. She did bloodwork to test for lead poisoning etc. She also did another throat swab to send away for a culture growth, she did say there was a lot of moucus in the back of Bella's throat...any thoughts??? Bella's weight was back up to 210 grams so that is good! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My guess is chronic Aspergillosis.