• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know if he's in pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It makes me wonder if he's so immobile because of his pain. I was talking to a friend who has a female Vasa and she says that Java may never be mobile because of his leg, that he may also never gain independence because of it.
So I've started to wonder if I'm expecting too much of him by wanting him to move around more and be independent.
I don't know if he's in pain. I'm still applying medicine to his foot but it's still pink and smooth in some areas.
I'm thinking about calling Dr. Dixon and discussing if he should be on pain meds indefinitely. I don't want him to be in any pain, and if medicine fixes this, then I'm willing to spend whatever amount.
Any advice?
@Hankmacaw

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are over-worrying again. The bottom of parrots' feet are always pink in spots. It's the black and very dark spots to watch out for.

He may never be totally independent and mobile - but then he may. You need to keep trying with him. Those pictures of him flying, he had pure joy on his face. He may never be independent of you, because he loves you very much.

He does not look to me (in his pictures) that Java is in constant pain. Jasper is in constant pain without meds and it's easy to tell. She has had two toes amputated due to the pain caused by her arthritis. Jasper is on daily pain meds (Celebrex and Gabapentin now) and has been for 13 years. Without them she is in constant debilitating pain. Discussing the pain issue with his Dr. would be a good idea. There is never a reason for a bird to live in constant pain.

You are doing a good job and it has to get to be a downer at times. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other - it works.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This may sound weird, but I can tell if my one dove with hip arthritis is in pain by the look on her face..when I see this, I start her on her metacam. She usually gets bothered, like us, I guess, when the weather cools down. Only you know Java, and if you think or feel he may be having pain, then talk to your vet ..:hug8:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are over-worrying again. The bottom of parrots' feet are always pink in spots. It's the black and very dark spots to watch out for.

He may never be totally independent and mobile - but then he may. You need to keep trying with him. Those pictures of him flying, he had pure joy on his face. He may never be independent of you, because he loves you very much.

He does not look to me (in his pictures) that Java is in constant pain. Jasper is in constant pain without meds and it's easy to tell. She has had two toes amputated due to the pain caused by her arthritis. Jasper is on daily pain meds (Celebrex and Gabapentin now) and has been for 13 years. Without them she is in constant debilitating pain. Discussing the pain issue with his Dr. would be a good idea. There is never a reason for a bird to live in constant pain.

You are doing a good job and it has to get to be a downer at times. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other - it works.
Thank you. It just worries me to see him sitting idly all day when he has everything in reach. I just don't know if him being inactive is normal, and considering his species, which is known to be very active, it makes me wonder about his pain level.
I called Dr. Dixon and left a message to see if he would be better off on pain meds. I guess I'm running out of ideas to encourage him to move. It seems the only way he will move somewhat is if I take him away from the cage, which is always met with resistance but then he calms down. I don't know...I just don't want his life to pass him by because of pain

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like @Birdbabe said I can tell by the look on Jasper's face when she is in severe pain. It's just something we learn with time with our birds. Talk to your Dr. about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.