• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I don’t know what to do... HELP

Pixiie10

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nour shubar
Hi everyone,

I didn’t know under which forum to post this thread so I chose here because I’m still new to Avian Avenue. Anyways, my almost 2 years old female cockatiel has spent almost a month and half sitting on her infertil eggs. I want her to stop how can I do that? I’m very concerned. I’m trying to change her diet to pellets and limiting dark areas around the house. She has already laid 5 eggs at the beginning of this year (which she abandoned) and now she has 4 eggs.

What do you think I should do. I would appreciate any advise❤

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as she's not laying more just let her sit on them. She will abandon then soon enough. Give it a week or two more before doing anything.

You don't want to kick start the laying process again by suddenly taking them. You may have to do that anyway but not until you absolutely have to.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Make sure shes getting adequate calcium too.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd say let her sit on them until she gets tired of them, then remove them. If you remove them while she's still sitting (even if you know nothing is ever going to hatch) she'll probably lay more. I'm hoping that you are not trying to switch her to an all pellet diet because tiels are seed eaters in the wild. Offer her veggies, rice, pasta and birdie bread as well as some seed too.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Maybe add a little egg food to her diet for a while. What did she lay in? When she finally abandons her eggs, you should be sure to remove anything that resembles a nest. This may help her not to lay in the future. You can also limit her daylight hours by darkening her surroundings earlier.