1. ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  2. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I didn't want a Rescue.

Discussion in 'Rehome Highway' started by GladeWing, 11/4/13.

1. Mansion75

Mansion75 Meeting neighbors

Best post I've read on here:hug8:

faislaq and Eloy like this.
  2. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    I can tell you that I cry every time I read that first post, and it doesn't matter that I have read it many many times.

Lady Jane, faislaq, TikiMyn and 2 others like this.
  3. Mansion75

All our bird family are from rehomed or rescues. No offense to anyone who has purchased their feathered kids as a baby. But this is the exact reason why we want breed birds. It's so sad to see birds rehomed or neglected.

It's not the birds fault. It's like having 2 year olds for the rest of your life. It's a lot of responsibility.

faislaq, Animallover03 and Eloy like this.
  4. OK Mike

OK Mike Walking the driveway

Mike
    We haven't taken any birds into our home but we have taken in many dogs, horses and mules. We bought Blu from a very reputable breeder.

The reason we ended up with so many unwanted animals is that my wife is a hospice nurse. She gets very attached to her patients and their families. Over the years we lived in Alabama on our farm we took pets and livestock that were either not wanted or were unmanageable by the families after the passing of the owner. These included 2 Australian shepherds, a Great Pyrenees, a Redbone Coon Hound, a Labrador mix, a Quarter horse with foal, an energetic hyper stud Appaloosa, a pair of miniature mules, a 20 year old mule that the family was going to have put down and the list goes on. We kept them all until they crossed the rainbow bridge. We also loved them all and dealt with their individual idiosyncrasies. They also never meant to be abandoned by the death of their owners. I wish we had as big a place here in Oklahoma so we could do it again. Those abandoned animals gave us and taught us more than we could have ever imagined. I miss each and every one of them. The last of the "rescues" we got was a Border Collie named Cheyenne. She passed in February after 14 years with us. Her ashes are on our mantle along with a fired clay paw print from her.

Lady Jane, faislaq, SandraK and 5 others like this.
  5. Mansion75

Nothing wrong with buying from a breeder. I just can't add more birds to a growing profession. Those chicks gotta go somewhere tooand yup we have a real " rescue".

faislaq likes this.
  6. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

May God richly bless your wife @OK Mike

7. Yeah_Birbs

Yeah_Birbs Meeting neighbors

Tim
    This story melts my heart:hug8:

faislaq, BeanieofJustice and Eloy like this.
  8. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Thank you for bumping it. :)
    I think everyone here should read it and hopefully more will open their home to a rescue and not buying their parrot/s from a breeder.

9. SherLar

SherLar Walking the driveway

Sherri and Larry
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! Any one willing to do any rescue care and or fostering has already done more for the bird community than they can imagine.

Thank you for the lovely story.
    sherri

faislaq and BeanieofJustice like this.
  10. PrettyBirdy

PrettyBirdy Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

Reading this right before I'm going to post about a cockatoo who needs help. Brought tears to my eyes. I too grew up with horses, and I think a lot of my natural inclination with animals comes from my 'horse sense.' My two rescues are the loves of my life. Yes, their are struggles. They are so worth it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)