• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I didn't want a Rescue.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Wow! Just wow! Amazing story. Once I starting reading it I was glued. I agree with the others. You really should consider getting that story out to a wider audience. Khepri is absolutely beautiful. And you are equally as beautiful for giving her the home she deserves. The warm feet, OMG I could cry.

I too will rescue a bird one day. Just waiting for the right time and I will one day find my khepri :heart:

KeroRocks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sonia
That's the second awesome story I read today.

Wow, I'm glad she chose you. :D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Wow this should be posted in every pet store and every breeder should have coppies not just for birds but all animales heck think if we all ran it off and stood on street corners and handed it out how many people we could reach oh I know but if we got 1 person out of 100 to read it it would be worth it
thanks for posting this and for saving this baby from that place and giving her her life back bless you

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Awesome story with a happy ending for both of you! Thank you for coming to Khepri's rescue and taking him out of that horrible place and away from those horrible people!May you be blessed many times over for opening your heart and home allowing Khepri in! I myself just recently took in a rescued Macaw named Karma.I have only had her a few short weeks but she has made tremendous progress already and she has stolen my heart.Good luck to the both of you! Cant wait to see how your relationship of trust and love develops. :hug8:

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
Sniff Sniff WHAWWWW! Thanks for being so great!

SureAsNone

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rashel
I'm not entirely sure what the guidelines are for this, but is there anyway that the mods could make this a sticky? This is something I believe people NEED to see.

Ariana, thank you so much for bringing that beautiful girl into your life. Khepri is very loved and she knew it from the start.

Cyreen

In all honesty, I had a moment or two of "what the hell did I just do" when I brought Mayu home (also a re-home). I am her third home, that I know of, and her last home. I consider myself very lucky to have found her.

There would be no birds with problems if people weren't a problem.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I missed this when it was first posted but just sat reading it on the bus on my way to work this morning - trying to hide the fact that I was weeping!

Thank for for giving that sweet bird a forever home and a chance to experience the kind of life that every bird bred for the pet trade deserves. I hope she is continuing to thrive with you :hug8:

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Beautiful story - thank you for sharing.

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
Lovely story and well written, I tend to zone out a bit with some long posts but this was lovely to read. It's so sad when when animals get passed from home to home to home :( I work with rescue dogs and we have a 7 month old pup that's already lived in 3 homes before coming to us, bless her.
Khepri looks like she is in a happy place now :)

bittybo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
my macaw had started screaming every night for no reason and i couldn't figure out why until one night while outside in the yard with my dog i heard a parrot screaming. i knew my macaw had been answering the parrots calls. i searched the neighbor hood to find this bird and found a neighbor who was keeping their sons moluccan cockatoo because he know longer wanted it and had dumped it at their house. they told me they hated the bird. all day long it sat out in the hot sun on their deck and at night they sometimes left it outside and one night raccoons had broken into its cage and for some reason the bird was still hanging around. they told me outright they were just hoping the bird would either die or fly away. i told them i would be willing to take the bird because i have always loved cockatoos and i would give the bird an excellent home. as soon as i said that they said we will sell the bird to you for $3000. i was shocked because they had just told me they were hoping the bird would die or fly away. they said $3000 would cover the cost they had spent on feeding the bird plus the initial cost of the bird. i told them i didn't have /$3000 but if they wanted the bird to have a good home i would love to have it. i know from experience it costs a fortune to take your bird to the vet because the vets consider them exotic , plus there aren't that many good avian vets around when you have problems with your bird and i was thinking the $3000 would probably be spent on getting the bird vet care if it was sick from the mistreatment it had been receiving. needless to say i never heard from them again and they moved away about a month later. i will never forget the greed that lit up my neighbors eyes when i said i would love to have the bird with no regard to the bird at all. anyway long story short i am glad you took in the rescue bird and thrilled she is doing so well in your home now.
:hug8:

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
i told them i would be willing to take the bird because i have always loved cockatoos and i would give the bird an excellent home. as soon as i said that they said we will sell the bird to you for $3000.
We were lucky to get our Karma.We got her because we were the only ones who didn't mention money. As a matter of fact as my son-in-law was walking up to the door another man was leaving and said "Unless you are willing to pay $8,000 you better just leave now." Karma's previous rescuer said that he knew then that we were the right ones who would take care of Karma and give her a good home.He also said that he had interviewed numerous people and turned down all of their offers.We were lucky to be the chosen ones.He gave her ...cage and all to us.I think it is a crying shame that people would rather keep a living,feeling and breathing creature in misery because they do not like them when there is no money to be made.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Just saw this for the first time and your wonderful post had me crying like a baby. Beautiful, beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.

Rissa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rissa
You know, I felt the same way when I was first looking for a macaw... and then I met Johnny. As soon as I met him, I just knew he was the one... and I took him home. Now, I cant imagine my life without him... and to make matters "worse" BOTH of my macs are re-homes.... but they are in their forever home, and we all love it here. I loved your story... and I love happy endings! Wishing the best to you and yours :heart:

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Wow! One point, unless we are the actual mothers that laid the egg raised the bird, it will always be a rescued bird. My only two rescued birds, the first loves me so much, the second got her from pet store and she was sick and stressed from being taken from mother too soon, now several years later is healthy with seven wild kids that need to learn manners. :laughing12: Wonderful story Thank you

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Both of mine were rescues, which means both were rescued from certain death. The character, courage and love that I got from them is a gift.

I can't even imagine how boring, raising a baby would be.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wow! One point, unless we are the actual mothers that laid the egg raised the bird, it will always be a rescued bird. My only two rescued birds, the first loves me so much, the second got her from pet store and she was sick and stressed from being taken from mother too soon, now several years later is healthy with seven wild kids that need to learn manners. :laughing12: Wonderful story Thank you
The eggs may be laid by the hen, but the chicks are raised by humans - there is no rescue involved in that situation. The rescue occurs when an ignorant owner doesn't care for them, or tires of them, or just is not satisfied with the situation they got into.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Both of mine were rescues, which means both were rescued from certain death. The character, courage and love that I got from them is a gift.

I can't even imagine how boring, raising a baby would be.
Boring and a lots of work. I did not raise the babies the mother and father did. It helped the mother to have a small family. She is happy to hear them and has not had anymore.