• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I didn't want a Rescue.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Wow. Just wow. I have the chills and I'm misty eyed.

I will admit, when I first started reading, I got nervous but ended up being amazed.

Thank you for saving this baby. Rescue stories like *this* need to be told :hug8:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I have a lot of respect for you in applying the 'horse sense' from the beginning and not just going out and buying a bird without doing much research. I don't think many of us on here can say they did as much research as you had done before we bought our first bird. I myself will admit that when I was still in high school I had some canaries and a couple of Cockatiels then had gotten a B&G but did not have an ounce of knowledge of how to really feed one. This was before they even had pellets. Why do you think pellets evolved? Because people back then only knew to feed sunflower seeds. Pellets to me are a step or two above feeding an all seed diet but they are not the perfect all in one food that so many people believe it is. Just too many species with different requirements for any one pellet to cover.

I do have to say was surprised you were not a 'Girl Scout' and not totally prepared for meeting your little girl in that you did not bring along any food treats with. Bribery in my book is always top on the list. Best way to make that first impression :joyful: but in your case, Khepri knew a good thing when she saw it. Someone who approached her gently, was not poking fingers/hands at her, not yelling/screaming and just plain tormenting her.

I am happy for you that the stars lined up and the Angles were there to find your little girl and you decided to go ahead and rehome her. Sorry, but in my book a rescue should only be used if the bird was in a life death situation who needed to have medical attention immediately to save it's life. These animal rights people love when the term rescue is used as they use that against us in our own courts of law to get these laws passed pointing out how many animals are suffering because people own them.

A sincere welcome to both you and Khepri to AA and may you have many, many happy years together.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I sat, car idling at a long stop light, the last one before I got home, kicking myself for being so gullible and for buying a neglected bird for full price:

I didn't want a rescue.
I didn't want a bird that I had to "fix"
I didn't want a bird that other people had neglected
I didn't want to pay full price to fix other people's problems
I didn't want to deal with the anger, the bites, and the screeching
I wanted a bird to love
I wanted a bird to keep from ever experiencing harm
I wanted a bird to bond with.

But then I realized, as my new friend started picking her little bits of bird-dust delicately off of my arm, her little feet nice and toasty on my arm...

She didn't want to become a rescue.
She didn't want to be broken
She didn't want to be neglected
She didn't want to bounce from home to home
She didn't want to be angry, bite people, or scream in terror.
She wanted a person to love
She wanted to live a life free of harm
She wanted a person to bond with.

And by golly, I am going to give that to her.

I didn't want a rescue... but she didn't want to become a rescue, either.
Wonderfully written, but this part made me blubber like a baby :sad7:
All my animals are adopted/rehomes/rescues and pure perfection :heart: so I get it :hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I love your story! Thank you so much for taking her in, but obviously, what choice did you have?! Fate will get you every time! ;) I have tears too. :sad7:

A "problem" bird reminds me of being in a bad relationship. We're not the nicest we can be when we're with the wrong person.

I'm so glad Khepri is finally in a happy home! :hug4: :hug4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. You are very well written. I'm glad you took a chance on her... Having a "broken" bird trust you and open up like that is one of the most rewarding, heart warming things I've ever experienced.

Thank you for sharing. I want to share it with a million people lol.

Michele

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michele
I want to make a copy it was great , I have a program called The Avian Education and Therapy ,and would love to share your story. People need to understand how many unwanted birds are out there. All they want is some one to love. For some reason it would not copy :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you so much, admittedly I was terrified that someone would pick out some weird bit of information and harp on me for something-or-other (I used to frequent horse forums and people were bad about that, LOL) I am really happy that at least one person thinks this belongs here, and that Khepri is in a good place!

I am really sad that she's had to be a family member in 5 different homes now. It seems that with every new home things got worse or were quickly deteriorating in this last home. I just still can't fathom how THEY spent 800 dollars on a bird only to buy a 20 pound sack of Wild Bird Food to feed it. Who does that? That's like buying an Off-The-Racetrack Thoroughbred and feeding it Grass Clippings from your lawn mower!

I'm glad I did the research before hand, it taught me a lot of what I wanted in a bird, as well as what I didn't want in a bird. I am also really glad I posted that ad for the mutt-strut for my friend because even though I paid full price for a bird that had been neglected to a questionable extent, that at least she wasn't nearly as far gone as other birds that I had (successfully) rehabbed and worked with in the past. I am so surprised at how forgiving she is. She's unlike any Macaw I've worked with!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a response and read all that text, LOL!
:D Okay, so I'll harp and :wacky: I think you'll survive it: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: WHY didn't you join earlier????? :hug8: :hug8:

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
I just want to add this...

A lot of people join here and leave again. Ive been guilty of doing that on forums as well but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, you need to stay and be apart of AA.
You need to tell this story EVERYWHERE.
I also want to tell a million people. People always ask me why I have "second hand" birds or why would I take in an older bird.

THIS IS WHY!!!!!!
:heart:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Awww. Great story. Sounds like you and Khepri both got lucky. Wouldn't it be great if everyone would put this amount of time and thought into becoming a parront?

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
such a fantastic story, made me cry. This should be shared, published.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Loved the part about how the parrot didn't want. . . . . .oh my gosh, hard not to cry

Thanks for giving her a chance at a great life

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
What a Beautiful story, and a lucky bird :3