• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I cut Chickie's nails (2) to the quick

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Usually the two techs do it and they are very careful. Today one was over to power wash so she restrained and i snip snipped two nails. To my horror fat drops of blood started which turned into a stream and covered my hands and flour was no use to stop it. I had some really old kwikstop and it stopped the river of blood. I've never seen a bird bleed so much from nails. It was unstoppable until I got my wits about me. Needless to say that was the end of trimming. Next weekend both techs will be here and trim carefully.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww sorry, Saroj! :(
That happened to me the very first time I cut Pogo's nails. I took the tiniest bit off and he bled so much. It was hard to get it stopped. Qwikstop didn't work. I ended up just keeping pressure on until it stopped. And he yelled "Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" which I thought was weird that he knew to say that, he was so young. I only used the Dremel after that for many years. The nails never bleed as it cauterizes. You have to be careful not to keep it on too long though as it really heats up. I'm back to clipping now. I just take a bit off and if they need more, I wait a week or 2 to do more as the quick will have receded.
Quack and Darwin I do through the cage bars when they're on the side. Sometimes Darwin is ok letting me do it while perched on my hand. Itsy I can do on my hand or sometimes towel her. Tiki is the hardest as she's so squirmy but I got them done the other day perched on my hand for the first time. She squawks when she sees the clippers so I did the back ones first.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So sorry Saroj! I hope you and Chickie is alright now? :)
It was unstoppable until I got my wits about me. Needless to say that was the end of trimming.
And that is the reason I always recommend that never to cut yourself. It is awful when they starts bleeding like that. Potato starch is working to stop the bleeding but you also need to put pressure at the same time.
I file mines claws every month. It is safe and makes me feel comfortable enough to do it on my own.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks! We are both recovered now. After the tech and I finished washing the flying room we sat out in the water with the birds and egg McMuffins.
Since I forgot to salt and pepper the eggs the birds had a bit of egg too.

0DE69C10-5A94-467C-912D-C5E196AA4DD5.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Awww sorry, Saroj! :(
That happened to me the very first time I cut Pogo's nails. I took the tiniest bit off and he bled so much. It was hard to get it stopped. Qwikstop didn't work. I ended up just keeping pressure on until it stopped. And he yelled "Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" which I thought was weird that he knew to say that, he was so young. I only used the Dremel after that for many years. The nails never bleed as it cauterizes. You have to be careful not to keep it on too long though as it really heats up. I'm back to clipping now. I just take a bit off and if they need more, I wait a week or 2 to do more as the quick will have receded.
Quack and Darwin I do through the cage bars when they're on the side. Sometimes Darwin is ok letting me do it while perched on my hand. Itsy I can do on my hand or sometimes towel her. Tiki is the hardest as she's so squirmy but I got them done the other day perched on my hand for the first time. She squawks when she sees the clippers so I did the back ones first.

Thank you for all the ideas and options, Jennifer! I’m going to give Chickie a dose of vit K which thickens the blood. Run it by the vet first.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So sorry Saroj! I hope you and Chickie is alright now? :)

And that is the reason I always recommend that never to cut yourself. It is awful when they starts bleeding like that. Potato starch is working to stop the bleeding but you also need to put pressure at the same time.
I file mines claws every month. It is safe and makes me feel comfortable enough to do it on my own.

A metal file or a sandpaper file?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My hat is off to you for cutting 25 finch toenails. I like corn starch best. Its so easy to make them bleed. Between the wiggling and curling up the toes its a lost cause for me. Guess if you have 25 birds you have to do the deed yourself.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
A metal file or a sandpaper file?
I use metal if their is much to file, glass if I only need to file the tip. I try to avoid sandpaper files because it will get to warm if you need to file more then the tip with them.
That is also one of the reason why I prefer to do it so often.

SS nail file

Glass file. Also great to finish with if you are first using the metal file.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And that is the reason I always recommend that never to cut yourself.
And I will add that this recommendation is only for dark claws where you can't see the quick.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I clipped nails yesterday on about 25 finches. I was too chicken to do the big guys! I quicked a couple of them but not badly.
Wow! Amazing!
I use metal if their is much to file, glass if I only need to file the tip. I try to avoid sandpaper files because it will get to warm if you need to file more then the tip with them.
That is also one of the reason why I prefer to do it so often.

SS nail file

Glass file. Also great to finish with if you are first using the metal file.

Ah thanks Anette. I’ve never heard of a glass file!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you got the bleeding to stop and Chickie is OK. I used to use a cat claw clipper to do all of my birds' nails but now I generally just take them to the vet and they get their pedicures there. I do file Spee's nails lightly with a sandpaper file. I had a nice metal file with a rounded end but can't find it and I don't like to use the ones with the pointed end in case he starts wiggling around too much. Might have to check into the glass file.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Might have to check into the glass file.
They are great. Is mostly used by professional manicurist but is beginning to be more common as people understand that they are very nice to our nails. They are sturdy, long lasting and do not damage your nail.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Ugh hate clipping nails!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I never heard of a glass file either. I use a metal file on Quack's beak to avoid the dreaded towel.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Super Clot is great for emergencies like that. Also for broken blood feathers.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I think it’s cornstarch I keep in my kit..? Thankfully I have never needed to use it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I get more nervous with Sherbie than Rupert because although her nails are easier to see, she wiggles really badly! I'll take little teeny bits from Rupert's nails at a time any day.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I get more nervous with Sherbie than Rupert because although her nails are easier to see, she wiggles really badly! I'll take little teeny bits from Rupert's nails at a time any day.
I need to get some baby nail clippers for the finches. I use regular (human) ones -- even the width of the clipper blade is sometimes too much. Plus they wiggle.