• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent i cant believe im making this thread

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that she didn't pop right back. Did the vet check for internal injuries? Don't give up on her. Keep giving her good nursing and make sure she eats and especially drinks. I would take the perches out so she doesn't spend energy on keeping herself on a perch and she doesn't hurt herself falling. Get a syringe right now incase you need to give her fluids and food by syringe.

What do her poops look like? She must take her antibiotics.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
They checked her over for scratches and bumps. They had her in the incubator at 82 degrees and that perked her up and she was walking around eating seeds they told us. I have a space heater and a radiator in my room and I kept her warm all night, since it's snowed.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
Her poo is normal, and she seems okay, even though she is very wobbly and seems to be zoning out a bit. She walked from her hut to her food dishes (5-6 inches away) and while she did almost fall twice, she's clumsy to begin with and she made it.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Very good to hear that she is doing better:heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I forgot, when you take the perches out, pad the bottom of the cage with a towel or something like that. I'm glad that she seems to be doing better.

I'm not as sure as you are that your sister may not take her out again. I would make sure that she can't take Tiki out. No sense in taking the chance.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
She was given meds. 0.04 ml of Metacam every day for a week.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
She's sitting on top of her hut, with her head hanging down, and it looks like she's sleeping. (She is alive!) Is this normal/safe? Her head is hanging down and its rested on her chest. (Sorry if this is a dumb question!)

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
The vet examined her for a while and said there were no visible wounds. I'm not too happy about this. She's hanging her head and is all fluffed up. They said she just needs a good few days to recover

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
No it's not a dumb question. Kiwi has suffered a life threatening trauma. She probably has deep bruises and soreness in her muscles which will take time to get better. Along with that she has emotional wounds. Imagine if you went outside to play thinking you were safe and a big tiger came out of nowhere and grabbed you and almost killed you. You would probably be an emotional wreck. I can tell you love kiwi so just keep watching her and give her medicine and give her time to recover. She is exhausted from this trauma and feels rotten right now. Keeping her warm, quiet, and making sure she gets her medicine is about all you can do right now. I'm sorry you and kiwi are going through this, I feel very bad for you guys. I hope you've got the sister problem taken care of. I wouldn't trust her very much right now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She's okay! She's on antibiotics for any possible scratches and she needs a week of down time in a warm dark cage, but she'll make a full recovery!

You said earlier that she is on antibiotics. Is she on antibiotics (which one), or is she on Metacam, or is she on both. She should be on both Baytril (antibiotic of choice for pasteurella) and Metacam (for swelling and pain). Please check the names on your meds and let us know what they say.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
I was mistaken in thinking that Metacam was an antibiotic. :(
@Donna turner, I agree with you. My sister had to pry her out of the mouth of the cat!! She's probably very deeply unsettled

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I feel deeply disturbed that the vet didn't give her antibiotics. She is still ,in danger from infections. As soon as possible I would call the vet and discuss this. If she's not feeling a little better soon or gets worse, that could be infection setting in. I tried to save a little bird that had been mauled by a cat and it died days later from infection in its eye. Also I forgot to mention how important it is that she eat and drink. Dehydration would be very bad

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I feel deeply disturbed that the vet didn't give her antibiotics. She is still ,in danger from infections. As soon as possible I would call the vet and discuss this. If she's not feeling a little better soon or gets worse, that could be infection setting in. I tried to save a little bird that had been mauled by a cat and it died days later from infection in its eye. Also I forgot to mention how important it is that she eat and drink. Dehydration would be very bad
totally agree. My quaker was resccued from death's door with antibiotics (he had pancreatitis)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Normally, even with the chance of a cat scratch or bite from a dog or cat, a bird is given antibiotics just in case.

Is your space heater bird-safe (i.e. no Teflon)? Most heaters are not safe but the ceramic oil-filled ones are and some others.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Beg your mom to go back to th vet to put her in oxygen. They must have Sunday emergency services.