• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can't believe how far we've gotten...

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Back in November of 2017, when I first joined, I was very ashamed to say that my birds were seed junkies. I had tried to offer them fruits and vegetables over and over again, but they just wouldn't try it. I had come to the conclusion that they were just very stubborn when it came to their diet and that they would never learn to like and eat vegetables.

Now I realize that my birds aren't as stubborn as some other birds are; I'm actually pretty lucky. Instead I think I just wasn't trying hard enough. I wasn't changing it up. For example, about a year ago, I just kept putting a small bowl of shredded carrots in their cage. I kept doing this, and kept doing it, but I didn't change the vegetable or change the way I offered it. If I had, I think my birds would have been eating veggies a while ago. But I didn't and that's my fault.

Literally not long after I joined, I got both birds eating pellets very well. I was surprised how quickly they took to it so suddenly, but I was even more surprised at HOW I got them to take to it so quickly. For Skittles, it was by offering it in my hand; he hates hands! Then to get him to enjoy it even more, I put it on one of their toys and he immediately got interested. Skittles being interested in it got Nico to be interested in it, and soon enough, both were fighting over who would eat the pellets first!

Then, about a month ago, I offered finely chopped broccoli. It had been a while since I had tried offering vegetables, I'll admit. I was still so excited and surprised about the whole pellet thing and had recently been researching the different brands of pellets to find the best. But when I finally did offer it again, it took the birds just a couple of minutes to start munching on their veggies! And then once I got them to eat one veggie, they were more willing to try others. Seriously, I was like introducing a new vegetable every day and they were immediately taking to it. Now they like the following: broccoli, parsley, cauliflower, carrots, and sweet potato (their favorite). All of this, in about a month. If you had told me a year ago that my birds would learn to like 5 different tasty vegetables in about a month, I honestly wouldn't have believed you. Because about a year ago, I was close to giving up, I really was.

For anyone currently trying to switch their bird(s) to a different diet or simply just trying to introduce one or several new foods, here's some advice, that may or may not work for your bird(s):

• Be creative - Birds are picky eaters. How picky they are depends on the individual bird. When it comes to feeding birds, you've got to be creative with how you offer the food. It took me a little while to get the birds to nibble little pieces off of a piece of parsley. Instead, they wanted the parsley already torn in to tiny pieces for them. This was a pain to do, so I tried offering a large piece of wet parsley. Ten minutes later, they were running the parsley through their beaks and tearing pieces off, all because I wet the piece of parsley. See, picky! If your bird won't eat shredded carrots, try diced carrots. Who knows, that may be the key to getting your bird to like carrots. Or incorporate the food in to one of their favorite toys somehow.
  • Two birds... so much easier - If you have two bonded birds, chances are you will be able to get the more stubborn one to like the new food just by getting the first one to. This is how Nico got to eating pellets... Now they both go crazy for pellets!
  • Be patient and persistent - Some birds may switch over to a new food very well, but others may not. The important thing is to be patient. You are offering something totally new to your bird, they probably won't even know it's food. You wouldn't eat something if you didn't know if it was food or not, so neither will your birds. Try to get them to realize it's food. And just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Don't give up - The most important, don't give up. It's a pain switching a stubborn bird to a new diet, but if it makes your bird healthier, it is totally worth it. Just keep offering the food(s) and try different ones.

Anyone else with experience of converting to a new diet is welcome to add any input/advice. I hope this helps someone else out even in the slightest. :)

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Very good advice for ANY kind of bird @SquawksNibbles .
Interesting reading and so true and to the point.
Bebe will try anything where Frankie will not and you are correct in saying a pair isn't so hard.
If Frankie sees Bebe eat something he will try it .
Luckily for me they both already love their fruits and veggies :)

Thank you for posting this thread as lots of people have "seed junkie" birds that are trying to change to pellets, fruits, and veggies.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Very good advice for ANY kind of bird @SquawksNibbles .
Interesting reading and so true and to the point.
Bebe will try anything where Frankie will not and you are correct in saying a pair isn't so hard.
If Frankie sees Bebe eat something he will try it .
Luckily for me they both already love their fruits and veggies :)

Thank you for posting this thread as lots of people have "seed junkie" birds that are trying to change to pellets, fruits, and veggies.
Thanks! I’m glad you found it interesting and think others will find it helpful!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you for the good reminder :) Sometimes I also get into the rut of feeding them the same thing, ie a huge batch of frozen chop, but they let me know when they've had enough by leaving their bowls untouched :dead: So I try to change it up by adding different fresh ingredients or just a chop topper, and on the weekends, they "eat out" on their play gym :p

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
  • Instead, they wanted the parsley already torn in to tiny pieces for them. This was a pain to do, so I tried offering a large piece of wet parsley. Ten minutes later, they were running the parsley through their beaks and tearing pieces off, all because I wet the piece of parsley. See, picky!
@SquawksNibbles Yes, you are so right, we do have to be creative. And another tip from me (learned from many years of having crappy teeth) Get you some kitchen scissors and use those to cut all kinds of things from lettuce to broccoli! It's pretty embarrassing, but I have to take my scissors with me if there is a chance that I will be gone for long periods and have to grab food out somewhere. It's not only time consuming to try and use a knife, but it's SO messy. I remember the first time someone was watching me cut a pizza with scissors, you'd think I had just invented sliced bread - they were amazed!

Mine had their pellets intro'd in a separate seed cup as treats, and sprinkled in a tiny bit with the seed in other cups (just to show them at first that it was indeed food) They seem to love the Zupreem fruity blend now.

As far as fresh fruits and veggies, I think this must have been some secret plan by the creator... Fruits and veggies were not in my budget for a bit over 15 years. I can afford them now in small doses - so the birds are responsible for making me eat healthier... well, they are eating most of it, since my teeth are crappier than they were 15 years ago! LOL Sharp scissors are still my best friend!