• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I bought

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
A much larger cage for my Linnes. I have two.

Do you think it would be alright to house another species of bird with them?

If so, what would you recommend? I like canaries, but I've been reading about lovebirds, ringnecked parakeets, etc.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
These boys are very sweet. I can't imagine they would be mean to a canary.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I wouldn't. There are people here that know alot more about small birds than I do thou. One problem I think would be diet? And making sure each species get their proper nutrition. Pellets are prefer over seed for most of the species in the parrot family. I don't know if that's true for linnies thou. If it is you could turn your linnies into "seed junkies"

I'm sure someone else who knows more will come along. What would help in answering this is the actual size of the cage?

Mixing species can be tricky. I think if you had an aviary or a free flight room dedicated for birds it would be easier IMHO

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you absolutely had to I would pick another species that is the same size and similar temperament. That said, I don't recommend mixing species. If they were raised together that would be one thing, but you're talking about moving a bird into a new space that's already been claimed by your linnies, and three can definitely be a crowd.

I absolutely believe that linnies could bully a canary, and that canary wouldn't have any way to defend itself except to attempt to fly away. They're such a delicate bird I would constantly worry about a fight.

How big is "much larger"? You may think there's room for another bird but it's probably the perfect size for your linnie friends ;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If you absolutely had to I would pick another species that is the same size and similar temperament. That said, I don't recommend mixing species. If they were raised together that would be one thing, but you're talking about moving a bird into a new space that's already been claimed by your linnies, and three can definitely be a crowd.

I absolutely believe that linnies could bully a canary, and that canary wouldn't have any way to defend itself except to attempt to fly away. They're such a delicate bird I would constantly worry about a fight.

How big is "much larger"? You may think there's room for another bird but it's probably the perfect size for your linnie friends ;)
Jenny, does your Linnie get along with your Conure? I've heard of those two species getting along before but I don't know that I would ever house them together. I might try a budgie but I still don't know...it's really iffy. As sweet as Linnies can be, they can also be bossy little brats and mean when they want to be.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle

I bought a flight cage for the boys. But, I still have another good sized cage I can easily place a canary in. At least they would hear one another.

And, we have a bird room, that they can fly around in. ❤

Last edited:

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
My husband told me he could swear sometimes the boys just hold hands. Probably I shouldn't rock the boat by getting more birds, even tho I bought them a flight cage. It's cool, I'll just put in more toys.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A standard flight cage (32×21) is a good size for 2 birds, but i wouldn't house 3, especially if the third is a different species. Not enough territory to go around.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Michelle, Canaries are delicate, and for the most part nervous birds. In my opinion they need their own cage with enough room to hop back and forth and back and forth, which is what they seem to love to do. They also need a swing as they love to swing too. Their songs can be quite loud actually. Didn't you say your husband works in the same room where the birds are? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but if it's your husband...the singing could get on his nerves if he's in the same room. The canaries I've owned sang very loudly. A lower, beautiful song that is easy to listen to is the Roller canary, you may want that type of bird, but in any case the Canary will be happiest with his own cage. ;)

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Michelle, Canaries are delicate, and for the most part nervous birds. In my opinion they need their own cage with enough room to hop back and forth and back and forth, which is what they seem to love to do. They also need a swing as they love to swing too. Their songs can be quite loud actually. Didn't you say your husband works in the same room where the birds are? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but if it's your husband...the singing could get on his nerves if he's in the same room. The canaries I've owned sang very loudly. A lower, beautiful song that is easy to listen to is the Roller canary, you may want that type of bird, but in any case the Canary will be happiest with his own cage. ;)
Yes, my husband "works" with the birds, lol. He was actually on a conference call last week and someone asked him if he was outside. No more birds I guess. But Sebastian and Arnold are happy.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Michelle, Your Sebastian and Arnold are so pretty, and don't you love the way Linnie's like to hang upside down? hahahaha Sometimes mine fight with each other upside down! hahaha

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Patty, ours do too! At first I was worried but I'm starting to think they like to squabble! Then later they sit next to one another grooming each other.