• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am over the moon happy with Paco's Progress!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well, as I continue to learn about Paco I discovered something else new today.... He used to love banana's and then started tossing them. Well I gave him a larger piece this morning and he happily ate it holding it in his foot.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
20190716_175315.jpg
Well, as I continue to learn about Paco I discovered something else new today.... He used to love banana's and then started tossing them. Well I gave him a larger piece this morning and he happily ate it holding it in his foot.
That's what I am talking about! Some birds aren't keen on eating minced up fancy bowls of chop. It's a waste for some. A nice array of a few things in pieces, chunks cut up and let them be able to hold their food and eat it.

Yay for Paco!

Poblano pepper today, yellow squash oh yum! Had a few light kidney beans today as well.

Attachments

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well that stinker surprised me. I went to clean up some soiled paper like I always do and he seemed fine with it, then he leans over and pecks me on the head. I told him no don't do that. I tried again and he nailed me again. Now my head is sore. Grrrrr now what do I do?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Guess you're going to have to try to get him to "scooch over" before you pull papers!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hmmmmmm move to a playstand?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I took down Bugsy's T stand he was afraid of it. He is terrified of the newspaper at the bottom of his cage. I guess that's a good thing, he doesn't shred it up. I worry about his beak not getting trimmed. He won't chew on his toy (it was in his cage when I got him) I can tell where he as chewed on it some. He is scared of paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls. I haven't given him a box to chew cause I'm sure it will just upset him.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Maybe he was scared the newspaper would hurt you and wanted you away from it then.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
hmmm never thought of that. Now he won't touch his sweet potato, acts scared of it. Uggg. I do hold up the paper and let him chew on it. So now he is happily munching on a banana. LOL

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He's just playing head games with you. They will drive you crazy for sure.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes Bert he is driving me nuts. Tonight we tried fresh blue berries. Yep I knew he would be a scardy cat. Its kind of funny to watch fluff up, eye pin and growl at a little berry. Grrrr I'll keep trying, if I can get him to eat mashed black beans anything is possible.

On the topic of food, I wonder if I'm feeding him enough? How do I know when he is full?

He gets veggies and fruit, pellets, (happy dance he is still eating them) Avi Cakes and nutri berries (he doesn't like the tropical fruit ones I bought) And about a T of mixed seed, no sunflower or peanuts. He gets this twice a day. Is that enough?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes Bert he is driving me nuts. Tonight we tried fresh blue berries. Yep I knew he would be a scardy cat. Its kind of funny to watch fluff up, eye pin and growl at a little berry. Grrrr I'll keep trying, if I can get him to eat mashed black beans anything is possible.

On the topic of food, I wonder if I'm feeding him enough? How do I know when he is full?

He gets veggies and fruit, pellets, (happy dance he is still eating them) Avi Cakes and nutri berries (he doesn't like the tropical fruit ones I bought) And about a T of mixed seed, no sunflower or peanuts. He gets this twice a day. Is that enough?
Too funny about the growl. I've heard the grey growl and it's scary!

Is he eating all the food you're feeding twice a day?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Most of it. He is now on Rowdy Bush Pellets. The grey growl is kind of funny, his is like a gargle and the eye pinning and fluffing feathers over a Blueberry!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Most of it. He is now on Rowdy Bush Pellets. The grey growl is kind of funny, his is like a gargle and the eye pinning and fluffing feathers over a Blueberry!
Sounds to me like he is getting enough.
Tinker has his days with food as well but I always leave more out than he will eat right away.
If he gets hungry he knows where to find it.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Good to know. I just wasn't sure.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
View attachment 311184
That's what I am talking about! Some birds aren't keen on eating minced up fancy bowls of chop. It's a waste for some. A nice array of a few things in pieces, chunks cut up and let them be able to hold their food and eat it.

Yay for Paco!

Poblano pepper today, yellow squash oh yum! Had a few light kidney beans today as well.

That's so true....my birds prefer the large pieces over tiny chop. Birds like holding their food.
Or the whole piece. My zon won't touch Apple's if they are smaller than a halved apple.
IMG_20190802_175648.jpg