• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am over the moon happy with Paco's Progress!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Awe that was such a heartfelt post. I’m so glad you found AA to help in your time of need. Bugsy was such a stunning bird! I’m sorry for your loss, but happy you now have Paco to love!!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you Kelly. I do believe things happen for a reason. Although I lost Bugsy it opened a whole new world for me. I never dreamed I would have a Congo African Grey. My dad always fed the birds outside and we would walk in the parks, he taught me how to recognize birds by their song and I continue to feed them now including humming birds. We had keets as a kid, and my mom had a green keet named buddy, I've had birds ever since. They are amazing companions.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
No thanks needed Claire, I'm the one that is thankful. I just got him to eat veggie pasta since he is afraid of leafy vegetables. Why I don't know. I tried Cilantro, nope not having it, spinach? No go. He will eat broccoli, carrot sticks, yellow squash and apples. Bored with apples at the moment. Sigh.... He keeps me I my toes. The cashiers at the local market must wonder why I buy 2 banana's, an apple and two carrots, LOL He is currently sitting on top of his cage chirping and meowing like a cat. He also barks! He sure is entertaining. Been using the Canon camera, that will take some more practice, he jumps when he hears the shutter click. I might try some dandelion leaves. I noticed he will nibble on food if I hold it. I don't mind if he throws it at least he is getting it in his mouth and getting a taste of new food.
He's eating fresh foods even if limited is fine! I don't do a fancy chop. The larger birds will pick up bigger pieces. As for a staple of what you are giving it's great!

Have you tried whole green beans or sugar snap peas? The Zonnies here love to get the beans out of a foraging toy hanging. They are smart, they get to the beans inside.

My yellow squash eaters are Sophie and Kazoo. Hoosier will eat the green beans and sugar snaps. As for broccoli, seems the crew like that steamed lol.

Keep trying adding one more something to the mix. Brussel sprouts are eaten here steamed by Kazoo.

Beans, kidney, black, you name it cooked and mushy they love them.

Our fruits are pear, apricot, banana, apple and for berries not so much, mostly Kazoo will eat an occasional blueberry. It's fun discovering new things.

And yes, the cashier's that ring me up probably wonder why there is one banana, a handful of beans etc lol!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She was my best friend and buddy for 25 years.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Bugsy was with you for a long time, but no matter how long, its never long enough. I'm sure the memories are bittersweet.

I tear up writing this. She was an amazing bird, she did not cuddle, scritches or talk but we had our own language.
(((hugs)))) My heart breaks for you. I know, some days are harder than others but missing them is always there. I dream about my bird. I find the day after a dream to be especially difficult.

Here is a photo of Bugsy.
So beautiful!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you Karen. Some days are harder then others. I have to remind myself it was for her benefit. Dr. Stewart assured she would feel no pain. He told me he could tell that she was well taken of and it is difficult to switch a wild birds diet, he said she out lived her life expectancy. She will live forever in my heart.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Funny you should mention Black Beans Claire, that poor boy freaks out like those beans are Satan himself. I have no idea why he reacts so strongly to new or different things.

I tried sprouting store bought beans, they didn't sprout. Maybe try warming up some mashed ones he likes sweet potato. As for Chop he wouldn't go near it.

I caught him eating a green bean ONCE! It was a frozen pack I bought. No salt store brand. I only use it as a back up in case veggie goes bad, or I need something in a pinch. That was the day he first started eating pellets. I was so aggravated I tossed the veggies in the microwave, cooled them and then tossed the pellets on top he ate the bean (1 bean) lol and the pellets. I did get him to eat a cucumber cause I ate one in front of him. Might try that with a salad. The antics we go through for our birds. If my friends and family knew what I did for a parrot they would think I need a padded cell.

I just have to remind myself he is 19 and for the first time in his life he never saw fresh food. Time and patience is what it will take.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Funny you should mention Black Beans Claire, that poor boy freaks out like those beans are Satan himself. I have no idea why he reacts so strongly to new or different things.

I tried sprouting store bought beans, they didn't sprout. Maybe try warming up some mashed ones he likes sweet potato. As for Chop he wouldn't go near it.

I caught him eating a green bean ONCE! It was a frozen pack I bought. No salt store brand. I only use it as a back up in case veggie goes bad, or I need something in a pinch. That was the day he first started eating pellets. I was so aggravated I tossed the veggies in the microwave, cooled them and then tossed the pellets on top he ate the bean (1 bean) lol and the pellets. I did get him to eat a cucumber cause I ate one in front of him. Might try that with a salad. The antics we go through for our birds. If my friends and family knew what I did for a parrot they would think I need a padded cell.

I just have to remind myself he is 19 and for the first time in his life he never saw fresh food. Time and patience is what it will take.
Oh my ha! That is so funny with the black beans. Hoosier does that with a banana slice. The other two grab one no problem. They are truly funny and quirky.

I agree if People really saw what we do for these guys, you are so right! We can have padded cells near each other!

Too funny, just went to buy groceries again.....that one Banana! Hehe :dance4:and the handful of green beans and sugar snaps :rofl:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
So funny grocery shopping for the birds lol
I just went to Whole Foods, my daughter got some of her Naked smoothies she likes and my son got some mochi. My items were a big group of dandelion greens (for some reason none are growing in my yard this year while in years past I swear they were everywhere), broccoli and some various items from the “birb salad bar”
My kids insist the salad bar is NOT for birbs but I wholeheartedly disagree :wacky:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, I hit the produce area once a week. It's my very first stop in the store. It's right there as you walk in, to the right....Starbucks on the left and I refrain from the sugar devils lol! (But I work next door to one at my real life job lol)

I like Whole Foods but it's in Cary and I do not like the People around that area yuppity types!

;)

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Or organic food in one bag, regular peppers in another... admit to cashier that the organic is for the parrots... hope the cashier hears "parents"?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Or organic food in one bag, regular peppers in another... admit to cashier that the organic is for the parrots... hope the cashier hears "parents"?
Now that reminds me. They usually ask if anything was organic. I wasn't asked today. :blink:

But that is funny! :lol:

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
You folks just crack me up and thank you for making me laugh. I got dried kidney beans and black beans and the black beans are soaking now for tomorrow. I'll make a quesadilla with them for me and I will mash them up in a sweet potato, thanks Claire. I'll have to check out the salad bar! Great idea! Too funny about the banana's one day he loves the next eh toss them to the floor. They do keep us on our toes. I have rock and roll up loud on the lap top, he loves to rock. I am pretty sure he is a very happy bird!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Paco likes to rock! Awesome!!:wave:

Yep the salad bar at Whole Foods is a birb extravaganza. That’s the only thing I see when I look at it lol
I did get “called out” today though, because I do my regular food shopping on Saturdays at the grocery store. I get the rest of the produce there. Even though I buy the kids organic fruits etc my daughter says I only get “the Expensive Whole Foods” for the birds.
My only defense is that they don’t sell the variety of greens at our regular store, but she wasn’t having any of that :madwife:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I just googled Whole Foods of course the only one near me is over the mountain, I did find another store similar to it though that is closer.

Well I'm up at 6:30 doing what? Boiling black beans. I thought I would use Claire's advice I'm going to mash up black beans with sweet potato and see if I can get him to eat that.

I wish I could get him to talk more without music but it's o.k. he is getting more relaxed is out of his cage every day and seems to be happy. I'm still a little nervous about the stepping up. I have been sticking to it. Last night he reached for my arm again and it was quite a pinch, (no bite) and he stepped up. I don't know if other peoples birds do this? I guess he does it so he knows where to step?

Well let you know how my "mash" goes. Hope he likes it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You are brave and I wish I could do that with my arm.

I use a T stick ALWAYS with Secret since she removed hunks of my hand. I'm just flat scared.

I've just started using my arm with MC part of the time. Sometimes he wants nothing to do with the arm and puts himself on his playstand. I've used almond slivers as a reward and he will step up for one of those QUICKLY. That is the only time he gets those. He doesn't beak my arm.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh is that the term "beak your arm"? The only reason I do use my arm is that he was stepping up with his previous owner. He also gave her kisses but I don't think we are ready for that. Not sure if I posted here about that! It was after I got him, we were doing well and I was getting close, talking to him and he reached over like a snake and got my lower lip. I wasn't paying close enough attention to his body language. We and a step back as I was on the phone one time in a hurry to get out the door to be on time for a job interview. I asked him to step up with the phone in my ear and he didn't like that. The chomp left a bruise and was sore for days. So I backed off and went back to square one with him. Using almonds to step up. I then was teaching he to scootch over with a treat so I can get to his bowls. His previous owner had a nasty water bottle in his cage. It takes a lot of patience but it's paying off. Now he scoots over with out me saying anything and no biting but I still keep a close eye on him. He is terrified of sticks so that won't work either.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
What kind of bird is Secret? My Amazon would fly to my shoulder and that was it. She would bite but it was more of a piercing type of bite that drew blood. Paco chomps! I guess a bigger bird and it also bruises my skin. He got me 3 times so far, but he is getting better. I just keep a close eye on ruffled feathers and the good ole stink eye.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What kind of bird is Secret? My Amazon would fly to my shoulder and that was it. She would bite but it was more of a piercing type of bite that drew blood. Paco chomps! I guess a bigger bird and it also bruises my skin. He got me 3 times so far, but he is getting better. I just keep a close eye on ruffled feathers and the good ole stink eye.
Secret is my avatar bird. That's her attitude, 24/7. Blue front, dna male. We thought she was a girl because she was smaller than MC.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I figured that was Secrete on your profile pic. Who is MC? I have realized that Zons are different the Grey or maybe Paco hasn't shown me his wild side yet? I wakes up when I do, I have black out curtains as my Amazon would be banging on the cage at the crack of dawn to be let out. I haven't heard him screech except one time and something scared him. Bugsy's only way of communicating was screeching and whistles, she would scream at dark and demand to go to bed. I"m not used to it being so quiet although Paco talks, chatters and whistles. He won't go to sleep unless I go to bed which I thought was odd. He just panics when I turn out the light and no way Jose is he going to let me cover him with a blanket. He also chatters and talks more at night.

I know each species is different and so is the individual bird. Would love to see more photos of Secret.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC is my best buddy. Blue front Amazon also, just different temperament.

There are threads everywhere with them but I'll try to upload a new batch within the next few days and I'll tag you.