• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am heartbroken and scared

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
2 days ago one of my older cats died. Iris was of unknown age. We adopted her 7 years ago. Her family had moved and didn't take her. The shelter said she was 12 years old but we believed she was a little younger than that.

This morning at 4am I found Olivier dead. His body still warm. Olivier was just 1 year old. He refused his dinner at midnight but no other signs of illness. He was still playful just before kitty dinner time.

Obviously something in my house has poisoned 2 of my cats. 1 older cat could be considered a completion of life. 2 cats within 2 days dying shortly after refusing a meal is not a coincidence. Obviously something poisoned my cats. But what? They ate different foods. They are inside only. There are no toxic plants in the house. All I can think of is something spilled and they got into it. But no idea what. In the morning we will be taking Olivier in for a necropsy and toxicology. We will take food samples so they can be tested as well. But I doubt it is the food.

I am scared for my other 3 cats. I have no clue why the other 2 died. 2 are older. Mindy and Sally are both 11 or 12 or older. Franz is Olivier's brother and just 1 year old. Sally has a tumor on her face that is being removed and biopsied this morning. I can't take any more bad news right now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh no. How mysterious and tragic! I hope the necropsy can shed some light onto what happened.
I was going to say maybe a neighbour poisoned them, but you say your ats are indoor only. So I don´t know :(

I am very sorry for your loss,
I wish Sally a successful operation ❤

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am so sorry for your losses.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I am so sorry Elaine. I'm glad you are going to do a necropsy and hopefully you will get some answers. The only thing I can think of is possibly mice. We have a few that get into our 70 year old house and our cat will play with them. If there's any chance that a mouse might have been poisoned and got into your house and your cats consumed him, it could be that. So keep that in the back of your mind. I hate that people use chemicals to kill them...it hurts everyone. Keep us up to date on what you find.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
We do have mice but I have only seen one in the bird room. And it hasn't been trapped yet. We don't use mouse poison.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Thanks everyone. If it had been Sally or Mindy last night we would have just assumed bad timing because they are both older with health issues. But Olivier was barely 1 year old. They were born late March 2018.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry! I hope you get some answers.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
We do have mice but I have only seen one in the bird room. And it hasn't been trapped yet. We don't use mouse poison.
But maybe someone in the neighborhood uses that poison. Mice travel.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry Elaine to read this and for your loss. :(

I was thinking that it is coincidence after all.
Oliver could suffer from heart diseases. I hope that is the answer you get so you don't need to lose more then you already did. And can stop worrying about the other ones.
I don't think it's so easy to poison a cat so it dies even if it's eating a mouse with poison inside. And first you should see the cat being sick.

I hope you soon get the answer you need. ❤❤❤:bighug:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How awful for you and family. @ncGreyBirdLady thanks for that link. How scary about pain relief creams with flurbiprofen. Good thing I no longer have a cat. My heart goes out to you for the loss of two cats. :grouphug2:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
But maybe someone in the neighborhood uses that poison. Mice travel.
I was going to suggest that too. If I may add, have your cat food tested. There has been a lot of recalls going around for salmonella in pet food. Worth looking into, preventative maintenance and a piece of mind concerning your other cats. Would take 1-3 days for bad food to take affect. I say this because we had two dogs die mysteriously.....vet took our dog food sent samples to MSU ( Michigan state university) and came back positive.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm terribly sorry about your losses, but maybe the necropsy will turn up the cause. In the meantime you might think about changing their food. There does seem to be a lot of recalls recently.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow that's so sad and scary! I hope it is just coincidence but it is nerve wracking to have to worry about the safety of your other felines while you wait for answers.

I'm so sorry for your losses and hope you get answers quickly!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The vet didn't do surgery on Sally. She said there wouldn't be enough skin left to stitch h it closed at this point. She said it looked like a granuloma. So 1 week of steroids and antibiotics because she rubbed it open. Then recheck in one week. Hopefully this will shrink it enough so it can be removed.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oh, how absolutely heartbreaking. I am so very sorry for your losses.