• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I always remind people

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
That birds are our modern day dinos. And the reactions are priceless because it hits them like a train and they're like, "That's right!"

When people see Melon and ask how many birds I have, and then proceed to tell me the ol' "I WANT A BIRD TOO! BECAUSE THEY ARE PRETTY AND THEY TALK ETC ETC"

I simply tell them, "Are you ready to handle a modern day dino? They are like 2-5 year olds for a good 15-70 years (of their life) depending on the species of birds." some people paused for a moment and they are curious as to what I mean by "2-5 year olds" so i explain to them. Some people understand they tell me, "I'll stick to having a dog" and of course we have those who are still insistent in having a bird. Which usually ends with me saying, "I best not see a bird in the shelter from you then"

Oh yeah also this happened three weeks ago:

I also have this god awful couple that rushed up to me with a bird carrier which contained a male budgie. (He was very adorable) they stressed Melon out as well as they were smoking cigarettes and I tried to step away from them and asking them respectfully to put out the cigarettes as it's not healthy for the birds. They didn't, and they told me they're bored of their budgie which broke my heart. He was target trained and very tamed.

And they had the nerve to ask me if i'm willing to sell Melon to them, which I declined before they could finish their sentence. the couple also took the budgie out of his carried (his wings were clipped but y'know) NEXT TO A HIGHWAY. I asked them politely to put him back in his carrier because I didn't want something to happening to the poor guy! He didn't even have a name!

And because they kept smoking cigarettes and we left, poor Melon threw up because of that. She's feeling much better now and is back to her normal self again.

I hope that budgie gets rehomed to a loving home. he doesn't deserve people like that couple.

I'm so sorry it kinda turned out to be a rant.

Last edited:

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I don't blame you... I'd rant too. People disgust me.
I was so upset I told my fiance I have half a mind taking that budgie home. But I had to take care of Melon because she was not feeling well that day.... They said they were gonna go to a "bird shelter" but here's the thing, there are no bird shelter in Hawaii. let alone Oahu

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
How horrible for that budgie.
Some people are unbelievably clueless and self-centred.
I think he lived in his carrier too from the looks of it. Which made it even more sad and I also mentioned to them that even a small budgie needs a bigger cage in hopes to hear a, "Oh yes he's gota big cage at home!" but I didn't.........

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Ugh. Hopefully they unload it soon on someone who cares.

I used to live on Oahu. Beautiful place.
Or someone who has the guts to snatch it from them. I even told them that the little budgie can live up to 15-30 years and even that didn't impress them.....

Yeha I love Oahu but it's so expensive...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little budgie, breaks my heart. This sweet, innocent bird didn't do anything to deserve these people, and what makes it worse is that you know he's just like thousands of other birds in this world who are in bad homes.:(

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Poor little budgie, breaks my heart. This sweet, innocent bird didn't do anything to deserve these people, and what makes it worse is that you know he's just like thousands of other birds in this world who are in bad homes.:(
I know... I';m so gl;ad my three little budgies are with me. They aren't tamed but i love and enjoy their company nonetheless.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
^^ That, and also YOUR bird did not deserve to be made ill by those idiots! Ugh!
they were harasing her and I asked them to stop because she is not fond of strangers, even one of my dogs, Jude, he's pretty friendly but even he didn't like them either. So i had to pull Melon on my chest to keep her away from them and the cigarette

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
and asking them respectfully to put out the cigarettes as it's not healthy for the birds.
I would have just said... DO YOU MIND IF WE BREATH while YOU SMOKE! and then left! :wtf:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like flippers!