• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I adopted ''problematic'' GCC

BluQuaker

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys, long time no see :)
I was part of your community for a very short time, until unfortunately, my baby Charlie died very quickly from a deadly virus after which I could not recover for a very long time. I blamed myself for a long time and thought that I didn't deserve a bird, until some time ago I saw GCC for adoption. The ad stood for a long time and no one wanted her because of her pronounced biting and screaming. I went to see her and she seemed so frightened so I took her. (side note: I got rid of all Charlie's stuff, and she can't be in contact with anything he was with so she can't get sick.)
At first, she looked very poorly, sitting in the corner of her new cage when I was around but playing and eating when I went to another room. Then she started going out and first, she would just fly around. Then the changes came rapidly, she started sitting on my shoulder, preening my hair, and giving me birdy kisses and now she wants to be around me 24/7 xD also sometimes she will get completely puffed up almost like she is being flirty so I'm wondering am I making some mistakes simulating her to think im her mate? I don't pet her wings since I know it's a big no no, she doesn't have any nests in her cage and is on a pellet/veggie diet. She doesn't scream and she only bites me when we are playing but it's not too hard. But still, if you have any advice I would appreciate it. We also go out often, and I don't plan to get another bird as a companion since I already have two dogs so it would be too costly.

unnamed (2).jpg unnamed.jpg

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's very cute. Thank you for helping her. What us going on when she gets puffed up? Sometimes birds puff up when they're relaxed and sleepy too.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She just needed someone to work with her and let her go at her own pace till she decided you were trustworthy and a friend:xflove:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry about Charlie. Your new girl is darling. It sounds like it is going really well with her! Lucky birdie taking outdoor trips!

My Linnie doesn't think I am her mate in any way and she sometimes puffs up when I speak enthusiastically to her. It seems to me that she is trying to look cute or show off. But you are wise to be watching for that kind of behavior.

Reactions: H.Z

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
She is so beautiful! I wish you so much luck and health to your new feathered baby! What an absolute darling. Thank you for opening your heart to love her. I am on the fence about getting another bird in my future as well!

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
She is beautiful, thanks for giving her a second chance.

I would strongly advise against the leg jess you have in the last pic (please correct me if I am wrong). They are okay to use in raptors because they have strong legs with which they carry prey, but parrot legs are not designed to bear that kind of force. If she spooks and tries to fly off, you risk breaking her leg. A full-body harness is the only option for parrots.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have good news and bad news. By most people's standards, all green cheeks are "problem birds." They pick their person, they jealously guard their person against any competition from humans, birds or other pets, and they get angry at their person if they feel neglected. They also scream (ack ack ack!!) for many reasons. Or no discernible reason. They're punks that don't know their size, and will pick a fight with a macaw.

As you describe, they're also extremely affectionate, completely hilarious, and fiercely loyal. They love their people and they're so cuddly and affectionate. Sometimes they even bite and cuddle at the same time. Bender has mastered this particular skill.

I'e had Bender 13 years now, and at my age of 39, it's actually hard to think of what my adult life was like without him. I call him my favorite gremlin. I love the good and the bad, because that's just Bender. I'm the only one that handles him, although he still bites me sometimes, and he can be out of his cage at the same time as my cockatiel because she's docile and they're buddies. He will dive-bomb my fiancé if given the slightest chance, yet they enjoy one another's company when he's in his cage and I'm not around. He cannot be out with my ekkie, because he would immediately pick a fight and probably get himself killed.

All of these seeming contradictions make sense to Bender, and I have grown to understand Bender logic over the years. I love him for who he is, warts and all. Every day he makes me laugh, and most days he does something so sweet or cute that I just melt. Every day he has a good yell in the morning and at the sunset, and many times he yells in between these times. He usually bites me at least once on most days. He's mellowed out after his adolescent years so usually it's a warning bite, but I do get the occasional bite and twist if I've been out of town or not given him enough attention. Fortunately there's only so much damage his relatively small beak can do, and his biting problems improved when I was no longer afraid of being bitten and called his bluff.

It sounds like you have a great relationship with your bird and I'm so glad you're happy! It's likely you'll experience most or all of these things.

A few things I've found helpful:
  • Make sure that your bird knows how much attention to expect. Bender and I have been together for a long time and my job is hectic, so over time he's grown to understand that sometimes I can work form home right next to him all day, and sometimes I have to travel on business for a very long time. However, a classic mistake is to spend every second with them when you first get them, and then when the rest of life happens, not give them as much attention as they expect. We have many competing interests in our lives, but they only have us. If we suddenly don't pay them near-constant attention, they don't understand and get their feelings hurt. I suggest encouraging your girl to entertain herself for at least a few hours every day
  • Significant others are complicated. Bender has seen me through several relationships, including my fiancé. He can determine how much I love that person, and therefore, how much of a threat they pose to my relationship with him. I knew I loved my fiancé when Bender dive-bombed him! He knew me better than I knew myself. Don't expect them to get along. Biting incidents build fear and resentment with most people that don't have birds as pets themselves. Encourage your significant other to feed your bird treats and interact with cage bars between them. Bender is a charming bird, and when I'm not around, he and my fiancé enjoy spending time together. but through a cage. No biting means no hurt feelings or fear.
  • When they scream (ack ack ack!) it's sometimes a contact call. If I'm in another part of the house and bender calls out, I mimic the same call. We contact call back and forth a few times, and then he's satisfied with the checkin and goes about his business.
  • Give her things to shred, and encourage her to forage as much as possible. Bender forages for all pellets and seeds in his diet. He only gets fresh fruits in his food bowl. I bought a non-cross cut shredder to make long shreds of old magazines and newspapers. I stuff a couple of handfuls of shredded paper into paper lunch bags, then put his daily seed and pellet amounts on top of the shredded paper. This keeps him busy for a few hours every day, and also provides exercise.
  • The words "wing clipping" are a great way to start a heated debate but I'll give my take. If you feel your lifestyle could provide a safe environment for a flighted bird (no children, no other pets present during out-of-cage time, hard and fast rules such as ceiling fans remaining off, blinds drawn mirror covered), the ability to fly is great for their mental and physical health, and builds confidence and independence. Green cheeks have a lot of energy, so flying is especially good for them. That said, there's always a safety tradeoff regardless of your situation, and if your environment isn't safe for a flighted parrot (for example young children) it's probably best to err on the side or caution and clip your bird's wings, at least lightly.
  • Get the biggest cage you can afford and have room for. They are more active than many other species, and need more space. No matter how big the cage, they will use and enjoy every inch. Out-of-cage time is of course essential.
I think that's most of what Bender has taught me. They're spunky birds, but if you love them for who they are, they're amazing. I have an Eclectus, a cockatiel, and my GCC Bender. It's hard to imaging picking a favorite, but if someone forced me, it would be my B-bird. He's been with me through thick and thin. We love and understand one another.

Last edited:

ChassiNoir

Moving in
Real Name
Chassi
This is an excellent post and I sincerely enjoyed reading it. It does make me miss my Lovebird, Maka, as she acted quite a bit like your Bender, except when she decided to nest; however, all I could do was smile.

I hope that Bender and you have many happy years together! He certainly seems to make them lively.