• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’m unsure about getting another lovebird

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
:omg:i have a lovebird named Larry , I’m unsure on its gender but I think it may actually be a girl . I’ve been thinking about getting another love bird from the same person I got Larry from and from the same parents and caging them together . I’m not sure whether it would be ok to cage them together without knowing gender in case of inbreeding someone help please

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I would definately get Larry tested if you are getting the bird from the same place. DNA sexing from animal genetics is $19.50 if you do blood, $24.50 if you do vent feathers in the US. If they do end up a male/female pair it would probably good to separate them as your concern about inbreeding is a possibility. Also i would plan on a 2nd cage as they may not get along.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
At this point if they were not nest mates/siblings and raised together you cannot house them together, at least not yet. You will need two cages and they will need to get to know each other through the bars. Eventually you can let them out and supervise a play date and see how they do with each other. The thing is........Lovebirds are very picky about their mates and friends, they might not get along, in which case you will always have to watch them when they are both out or they would need to each be out separately. But on a more positive note.......they may get along just fine, but you will have to take the time and the precautions until you know for sure how it is going to play out. I recommend getting a DNA test anyway........that way you know for sure what your dealing with. Two boys will often get along just fine. Two females are not as easy..........two females will often not get along, but I have heard of two females totally playing house together and making nests. So it just depends.......good luck with whatever you decide. Don't forget to quarantine any new bird you bring home, even from the same breeder.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Look up some of Garet's posts........he has a whole herd of Lovebirds and several cages and there is always some entertaining drama at Garet's house with his Lovebirds. (And I mean that in the most loving way, Garet ) :rofl:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Look up some of Garet's posts........he has a whole herd of Lovebirds and several cages and there is always some entertaining drama at Garet's house with his Lovebirds. (And I mean that in the most loving way, Garet ) :rofl:
Its been awhile since we heard from his flock. Maybe they finally turned on him :dead:

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
Thanks everyone , I’m going to try and get them
DNA tested and I’m going to purchase another cage for them to get on through the cage , I’ve read that they can get jealous too so I’m going to have to make sure I give as much attention to Larry as the new bird :laugh:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Its been awhile since we heard from his flock. Maybe they finally turned on him :dead:
That’s always a possibility but actually he’s having house issues, moving rooms around and such.

Thanks everyone , I’m going to try and get them
DNA tested and I’m going to purchase another cage for them to get on through the cage , I’ve read that they can get jealous too so I’m going to have to make sure I give as much attention to Larry as the new bird :laugh:
That’s terrific! I find the test with lovies is give them paper, if they shred and stuff it in the wings it’s a girl.

Also it is good you’re getting another cage. Even if they love to play together they might need a break from each other - at least at first.