• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’m so proud of Faust

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Faust has started letting everyone in the house except my 19 year old stepson (me, hubby, and all three of my kids) pet him. My stepson has no interest in the birds, which is why he isn’t included in that group.

Faust has been letting us give him full head scritches and really fluffing up his feathers and enjoying it. He’s also been flying off the top of his cage and landing on our outstretched arms for a few seconds at a time, letting us pet him for a few seconds, and then flying off again. I feel it won’t be long until he’s stepping up for more lengthy petting sessions and letting us hold him while we’re sitting down.

This is a major breakthrough with him and he’s come so far since I got him in April. For anyone who doesn’t remember my original thread, Faust is my BTM that was parent raised and had never been handled when I brought him home. He was around 4 months old at that time.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh wow, how lovely for you all and for Faust. What great news :)

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Wow, that is such wonderful news. I know you are all thrilled! Sweet boy came around :)

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Great news :congrats:

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I know the lighting is terrible and it’s not a great pic, but here’s Faust landing on my oldest daughter’s arm. And a few of him getting loved on. He’s turned into a big old puppy in the last week. All he wants is to be scritched and give kisses.

5E2B91D0-2EE6-4A64-8FA4-3559FE74130B.jpeg 3B5B3CBF-3202-4A84-A52B-0DBC2FB7F18B.jpeg 08FC2175-B8B2-4254-84B1-3E2026B430B1.jpeg

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Nice Pics. Thanks for sharing.
Faust looks like he is settling in nicely :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How very rewarding, great to see the beautiful pics of him with your daughter.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Today I figured out that Faust really, really likes to have me play with him by grabbing his beak and giving it a little shake while I laugh and tell him “I got your beak!” Then I do the same thing with each foot (he helpfully lifts each foot up for me so I can ‘get’ it) then start over with his beak.

He gets really silly while we do this. The play gets a little rough, I imagine like he would play with another macaw. It makes my heart happy to see him so obviously full of joy when he’s playing, interacting, and accepting our love.

When I brought him home I didn’t know if he would ever get to a point where he would want that interaction with us, and I would have accepted him on whatever terms he was comfortable with, even if that just meant he was a hands off bird who we spoiled with good food, toys, cages, etc. and just let him be a bird. I’m so glad he decided we were worthy of his trust and friendship and chose us as his people. This sweet baby has my whole heart. Well, ok, my Greys have some of it too. And I guess the Starling and the Caique do too. Don’t tell Faust! lol
:marlenesmile::heart::btm::cag::tag::rvn1::wbc::heart::marlenesmile:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome update.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Fantastic news! I really love the part where you said he lifts his feet so you can "get" them. :heart: Buzzard will sometimes give me his foot while he's beaking my fingers; not to step up, just to hold.
He gets really silly while we do this. The play gets a little rough,
When Buzzard and I are playing, his beaking can start getting pretty hard so @Macawnutz suggested keeping a foot toy nearby to redirect him when he gets too excited. It might be a good idea to have one on hand to save your fingers. :) Buzz tends to lunge-attack his toys when he's excited, so I offer larger toys or long ones that I can hold with my fingers safely out of reach!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I love that he is playing this beak and feet game with you and enjoying your company, how heart warming :). One of my favorite things that Burt does is very similar to this game and he really seems to enjoy himself when I am trying to get his beak and toes, he even ends up squealing like a kid in a playground. I can just imagine how much fun you and Faust are having :heart:
He is such a handsome bird.