• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video I´m confused: What is going on?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have experienced one of the weirdest moments with my birds today.
I want to share it and see if you guys have any insight as to what may be causing the behavioural shift.

So the basic backstory is Aldora and Sydney do NOT get on. They will both attack each other, and neither back down from a fight. They have to be closely monitored to avoid fights.

Sydney is housed alone, pelvic bones feel male, but shows female traits. No DNA test done so sex is unknown.

Aldora is housed with Jaime, they are bonded and have had offspring, she is undeniably female.

Whilst cleaning cages, I glance up and I see Syndey on top of my cabinet with a dark blue bird. They were very close so I thought it was Lapis... But it was Aldora. They were stood looking at each other, almost touching beaks. No squabbling, no fighting. I picked up my phone and recorded a clip:

Lapis flew off which dispersed the group. She is the bird that flies in at around 16 seconds.
Sydney is the pallid, Aldora is the violet hen, Jaime is the one with his feathers growing back in around his neck..

Something happens around 22 seconds. Is Aldora doing something with her wings? I couldn´t tell.

What do you guys make of it? I just can´t get over how close they were and how calm they were. It has only ever happened once. Way back when I found Aldora she sat side by side with Sydney for about a minute or two. The only time they can be near each other is under the tap.

Is this just one of those fluke moments where everything is perfect and everyone gets on?

Aldora is currently upside down being preened by Jaime.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
They were definitely having an in depth conversation. Cheeky does the wing flipping like that when she gets really turned on by some music. I always thought it was like female flirting with male behavior

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, it looked like she raised her wings but didn´t fully extend them. Normally if she´s extending her wings and Sydney goes near her, she will attack.
I couldn´t decide if it was almost a weird shake she did. I´m not tall enough to see up there well.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would say that Sydney is trying to pull attention. I am not sure what he/she is telling them about, but with the flick seems like an attention grab. Ekkies males do this behaviour to females..this is why they have red on the undersides. They announce themselves to try and avoid getting attacked by the female.

I tried finding what Sydney did in this video of wild lovebirds. The first time stamp is sorta close..but more of an expression of comfort.

Didn't see it on the ground interaction, but the wild ones might feel to focused on survival whilst on the ground.

They are so cute walking around foraging :xflove:

Understanding your parrots body language - ExoticDirect

Ask A Vet Online For Free 24/7 - PetCoach

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Fred used to do this toward Ginger. I beleive it's just flirting, though it never got him anywhere :lol:
Spring is definitely in your household. :dance4:

DISCLAIMER: I could be totally wrong.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That's what I thought, lots of flirting going on.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, for anyone else watching my clip...you would think ah yes, a flock of lovebirds and think they are always friendly. But if I hadn´t seen this with my own eyes and my boyfriend told me, I wouldn´t have believed him.

I just don´t understand why Aldora didn´t attack Sydney. She would do any other time. Not only did she not attack him ,she got right up in his face to look.

Maybe Spring is making her more friendly? She laid an egg 2 weeks ago. Just one, not a full clutch. Never bothered with it and didn´t replace it when I took the dummy away.

I would love it if my birds were like this all the time! It was so nice seeing them all together so close and relaxed :)

Also Sydney is unsexed, bones say male, traits say female, so I really don´t know, my money is on female.