1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyper active-biting

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Domothebudgie, 12/3/17.

1. Domothebudgie

Domothebudgie Strolling the yard

I will have had gonzo for a year on the 5th. He has a LOT of energy, even the vet said so. He bites when he play, and because he is a slender billed cockatoo, his bites usually break skin. His beak is long and thin so easily pierced the skin. His doesn’t usually bite aggressively, when he does challenge me he usually calms down after a firm “no”. But I’m not sure how to tell him to stop when he is doing this while playing. He is also fairly clumsy so he will fly onto things and need me to get him down. Which often leads to him slipping and grabbing on to hard. Could this be due to him being young (1 yr 8 months)? I know that they are usually more active when young, but to what extent usually is it because of their age? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Have you looked into buying a step up perch for him? That way he can hold on as firmly as he needs to if he does slip. Something such as this: Dragonwood T Perch .

3. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    Have you done any training with him such as target training?

You could use target training as a means of teaching him to fly down to you - once he knows how to target.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)