• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hybrid Macaws link and pictures

orni'morphosis

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ornithomorphosis AKA Avian Aficionado, Bird
Thanks. That makes the decision process easier.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Let me see if I can find the hyacinth hybrids...... we have the hyacinth x emerald, the hyacinth x scarlet (but a breeder thinks hyacinth x catalina?), and a hyacinth x greenwing (same breeder thinks this may be hyacinth x harlequin).

Search: hyacinth | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a confirmed hyacinth x harlequin hybrid, however it looks like a muddied version of a hyacinth x blue and gold hybrid... obviously taking after the blue and gold parent more than the green wing parent... Unfortunately, the image is in a private group....

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I have a variety of large bird species. As far as their emotional and intelligence quotient none of them fit the species profile from the re homes to the rescues to the babies in my observations. My smartest is the rescue B&G who can actually use words to communicate but he's also the one who doesn't like most people.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh Tracy! Do you have a picture of Daphne's older brother? Do they look similar? I'm sure Matthew (@aooratrix ) would love to see him too, unless you two are already acquainted.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh Tracy! Do you have a picture of Daphne's older brother? Do they look similar? I'm sure Matthew (@aooratrix ) would love to see him too, unless you two are already acquainted.

Yes, I would love to see him! I have seen the Paleos before, on FB, and they are STUNNING. I admire them!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Amazing that such big beaks can deliver food to those tiny ones! Great pic. Thanks for sharing, Tracy.

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Oh you should see them feeding on hatch day when the babies only weigh 15 grams. Unbelievably gentle and loving. Amazing to watch them.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
She looks like a mad scientist after her bath its too cute.

RedSonjaya

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a juvenile severe macaw with red on the belly. I have seen no other images of a severe with these colors on their bellies. Illiger's macaws have red bellies. Could this parrot be a hybrid? I am trying to upload a photo with no success. I am new to the forum. (See profile pic)

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have a juvenile severe macaw with red on the belly. I have seen no other images of a severe with these colors on their bellies. Illiger's macaws have red bellies. Could this parrot be a hybrid? I am trying to upload a photo with no success. I am new to the forum. (See profile pic)

It is possible the chick is a hybrid, however if that's the only identifying feature, I'm going to say "probably not". Generally, there would be more indications of such a hybrid (I have yet to come across one of those hybrids), although thinking about the severe x RFM hybrids... well, they look like severe macaws on steriods! Well, they do have some RFM features too, but they take after the severes a lot, from what I've seen of the youngsters.

Anyway, since this is a chick, the red coloration could potentially be *normal* for the chick! Possibly even normal for the genetic line! And in time, the red coloration will molt out. This extra red coloration, sometimes called a "red diaper". You may not be able to know for sure unless a) you are able to get in contact with the breeder or b) wait to see if the coloration remains or molts out. If you didn't purchase directly from a breeder, you can always try asking from whoever you purchased your severe from if the chicks they receive in have this extra coloration or not. If they have been selling severe chicks from one breeder for a while now, they may be able to give you more information without having to contact the breeder.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This is either a venerable scarlet or one with a health issue, likely with the liver. Or both! I have heard of these birds before. They have no yellow coloring and some black. I'm hoping you run a gram stain, choanal swab, chem panel, and blood test at the vet's. Please let us know the results.