• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Hurt foot

Fourteen

Checking out the neighborhood
I've been showing my house to sell it and when I returned home, my little parakeet was holding up his leg. This has been going on for several days. I have some herbals pills that I take for pain, they have magnesium, willow oak, vitamin C, and some other stuff in it. Do you think it is okay to open a pill and sprinkle on his food to help with pain?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Vet. Now. Poor bird.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Don’t leave your bird with strangers

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've been showing my house to sell it and when I returned home, my little parakeet was holding up his leg. This has been going on for several days. I have some herbals pills that I take for pain, they have magnesium, willow oak, vitamin C, and some other stuff in it. Do you think it is okay to open a pill and sprinkle on his food to help with pain?
I'm sorry but no, I don't think it would be safe to sprinkle your meds on your bird's food or water. If you can, leave your budgie with a friend or relative during the day. If your house is being shown your bird is at risk of the stupidity of not only the realtors but also of any potential buyer and family/children.

You should call your realtor and ask about who the house was shown to because your birds has been injured. Were you told it would be okay to leave the bird in the house during showings?

Fourteen

Checking out the neighborhood
Don’t leave your bird with strangers
I can't believe someone that comes to see a house would hurt the little bird. Since I wasn't here, I can't accuse them. Maybe he got excited and hurt himself? I have no nearby vets that will treat a bird. They will put him to sleep if I want but no treatment.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It wouldn't take much for some idiot to stick his fingers in your bird's cage, bang on the cage sides to get the bird to "do something" or even try to open the cage and grab him (unless the cage doors are locked). Anyone your bird doesn't know is a threat to him/her. And yes, you can can call your realtor on this - he or she knows (a) who showed the house and (b) who it was shown to. Unless you had an open house and had everyone and their mother tramping through the place. I'm repeating this - do not leave your budgie at home if the house is being shown.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I can't believe someone that comes to see a house would hurt the little bird. Since I wasn't here, I can't accuse them. Maybe he got excited and hurt himself? I have no nearby vets that will treat a bird. They will put him to sleep if I want but no treatment.
Where are you located? We can help you find a vet

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:banghead:

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Fourteen I'm so sorry your bird's foot is hurting! I would not give that medication to him. The white willow bark, which is the ingredient in it for pain, is probably not safe for such a little guy, and I'm not sure about the dosage of magnesium. You don't want to make him sick.

Is he still holding his foot up?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird got hurt. Definitely do not use the herbal pills. The best thing to do is take him to the vet and have his foot checked. Could be a sprain, break, infection, etc.