• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurt cockatiel

Jimjam112

Moving in
Hi im new to this but im looking for advice I have a cockatiel named ragnar and ive tamed him well can talk and whistle and chirp hes usually a free bird because hes good but the other evening da kids were playing der 4 and 5 and one fell on him I was devastated I rushed him to da vets unfortunately im in ireland and der are no avian vets just normal ones so he gave him a shot and said his eye would get better gave him drops hes eating preening and not flying much or chirping he loves me playing guitar and goes mad singing but nothing he lost alot of feathers on his head im just wondering will he come back to himself im devastated he lets me scratch him but prefers to be put back in da cage

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He could return to the way he was, but it could take some time. He's probably scared to be out now.
Do you know if he can fly now? I take it the vet did not x-ray to see if bones are broken? Did the vet manipulate the bird's wings to check for injury? I doubt he will return to singing until he feels better.

In future, it's best to let the children have their fun well away from the bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about your cockatiel. I hope he will be OK. Don't know if you are close to either of these vets but found these two avian vets in Ireland: Avian Vets in Ireland
Here's another one: Bairbre O'Malley Veterinary Hospital
If you aren't located near any of these you could always give them a call and see what recommendations they might have.
Maybe there is another member here who could recommend a vet to you.

Jimjam112

Moving in
Thanks very much dey wouldnt be near me but so far so good has started chirping and he is flying looking for head scratches eating away.just reluctant to leave cage unless I take him out hoping he will go back to da way he was hes giving kisses but I learned my lesson wit da kids he loved to go down beside dem and play wit der toys it was an accident but I how learned my
lesson

Jimjam112

Moving in
He could return to the way he was, but it could take some time. He's probably scared to be out now.
Do you know if he can fly now? I take it the vet did not x-ray to see if bones are broken? Did the vet manipulate the bird's wings to check for injury? I doubt he will return to singing until he feels better.

In future, it's best to let the children have their fun well away from the bird.
He did say his wings were fine

He did say his wings r fine cause dey spread out plus he is flying now

Jimjam112

Moving in
He did say his wings were fine

He did say his wings r fine cause dey spread out plus he is flying now
Ya wings r fine cause he is flying I think hes just out of sorts but honestly its killing me I want him back da way he was

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he continues to improve and that he returns to normal. He sounds like such a sweet, well loved bird!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep an eye on him, may take a couple weeks ,,,,hope he improves by the minute!

Jimjam112

Moving in
Update#### he is coming back to himself but I was rubbing his head eye and head with cotton wooland sterile water and ive opened his cut didnt realise how bad it is is der anythin I can do to keep it clean

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that your 'tiel is doing better. If you think the wound is infected then best to take to vet. I have Vetericyn Wound and Skin Care but don't know if you can get that in your area and if the wound looks deep then it may need to be treated by a professional.

Jimjam112

Moving in
He gave him an injection for infection I think I just rubbed a scab off might look for something on line like that stuff u have unfortunately ireland have two avian vets but on da east im on da west but thank u I will check on line