• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurricane Evacuation

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question, so if it's in the wrong area please feel free to move my post.

I currently live near Tampa FL, and we have had consistent rain nearly ever day for over a month. The reservoirs are nearly full, and now there is the possibility that hurricane Irma will hit us. My fiancee and I have been discussing evacuation plans, and our biggest issue is where to house our birds during the hurricane. Any suggestions? We have places to go but would have nowhere to house them on a temporary basis.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is there anyway you take them with you?

I know if I had to evacuate taking my cages would bit a huge issue and not feasible. In a pinch large dog crates would be ok. Not most ideal but better than nothing. I use a large dog crate to house Zane when I moved. It worked well for the almost 24 hours I had to use it.

Tough spot to be in :( I feel for you. I wish I could give you a better solution but that's all I could come with. Stay safe!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am an hour or so south of you. If Irma comes through I will be staying, so, I would take them for you. I know that is not a good solution since you'd have to drive them down here and all. Plus the storm could hit here too. But the offer is there.

It looks like it'll stay way east and north ish.
I have hurricane shutters, and the bird room is in the safest part of the house if there is such a thing. I can't leave this week, don't anyone assume anything it's just a week. :)

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
We decided to rent a car since we couldn't fit all of the traveler cages in my mini cooper. We don't, however, have an adequate cage for more than the trip. We will be staying momentarily near Cincinnati then heading up to Fort Wayne IN if we can't return home for awhile. I'm going to try to see if there is a rescue anywhere that has a few spare cages to house them in temporarily. We plan to leave Thursday or Friday and will be watching carefully. We still don't know what Irma is going to do, but we want to beat the crowd if there is a mass exodus. At this point, we just want to find at least temporary cages or ideas on where to reasonably keep them before they chew through the plastic ones.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@MacEnthusiast You seem to always ignore my posts, but, 1. All shelters are taking fids for care while their people head north -- so I am sure they will have cages you can use and 2. They just said on the Ft Myers channel that it could take 3 DAYS to get out of here. So leave early if that is what you're doing.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
@MacEnthusiast You seem to always ignore my posts, but, 1. All shelters are taking fids for care while their people head north -- so I am sure they will have cages you can use and 2. They just said on the Ft Myers channel that it could take 3 DAYS to get out of here. So leave early if that is what you're doing.
I haven't ignored you! And much thanks for offering your home to our fids, it really means a lot. We just don't want to leave them in FL, and we're heading out in a few hours.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Best of luck to you!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Safe travels.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
We left around 1pm yesterday and it took around 16 hours to get from the Tampa area to the boarder of Tennessee. It was bumper to bumper with brief openings, even on surface roads. Those brief openings closed within hours after we made it through. I drove for 20-22 hours straight through and arrived in the Cincinnati area at 9 am this morning. We got out right before panic started to set in, and it was already a horror show. We got incredibly lucky! Some of my neighbors waited and are watching Walmart turn into violent battleground. I'm incredibly worried for their safety, and they're sounding less than confident about their decision now.

On a better note, friends and family in the area have provided a bird cage and two large barred dog crates for the macaws and it seems to be a good setup for the time being. We are staying with my fiancees family for the time being. Now we're just waiting to see if we have anything to come back to, including my car that I left in what is now an evacuation zone.

Stay safe people.

Attachments

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Good you were able to get out :hug8:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad you made it to your family safely.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Glad you made it out and that you didn't leave your birds down there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That doesn't sound too bad! Glad you made it safely. I will decide tomorrow whether to leave. My little area is somewhat protected, and storm surge (so far) only says 1-3 feet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you are safe.