• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurricane aviary - Susan Clubb

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I found out that's where Blu came from. Just out of curiosity, wondering if anyone has any experience with, or even heard of that breeder before? The people who sold Blu to me said she's an amazing vet?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She is well known. Just google her.

There has been controversy over the years as to why someone who portrays themself as somewhat an advocate for rescue and welfare of animals would be breeding them.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
She's actually Diesel's vet and I just attended a seminar with her and Barbara Heidenreich presenting. Dr. Clubb is an amazing vet and on the forefront of avian medicine, especially nutrition.

I do find it peculiar that she both advocates rescuing and breeds herself. What I do know about her breeding is that she tends to specialize in some of the less common species, with quaker color mutations being one of her more common specializations. However, her primary species of focus is the blue-headed macaw. Of which she is breeding for conservation, expansion of the gene pool, and eventual release.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks guys! I Googled a little but was curious to hear personal experiences. I know it's a long shot but I am also hoping to hear from other quaker owners whose bird came from her to hear if their birds are anything like Blu.

I love Blu and he's a great bird but I think he's a tad bit neurotic. I know I may get slammed for this but I think it's cause he's an overbred mutation.

I also think it's peculiar that someone claims to love animals but sells birds that are pretty easy to find in most pet stores.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Congrats on having a baby bred by Dr Susan Clubb, you can't get much better than her Aviary as you can be assured the baby would be raised properly.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
She's the vet for Shady Pines Aviary in West Palm Beach where JoJo and Chickie are from. She's an excellent vet!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Congrats on having a baby bred by Dr Susan Clubb, you can't get much better than her Aviary as you can be assured the baby would be raised properly.
She's the vet for Shady Pines Aviary in West Palm Beach where JoJo and Chickie are from. She's an excellent vet!

Thank you!

I am glad to hear good things about her!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Does Blu have a band? You never really know if she bred Blu or saw him once. Sometimes people get information confused especially if it comes from one person to another. Maybe someone dropped off Blu at the clinic & she adopted him out?
She could have bred him but you my never really know for sure unless she bands them.

Interesting this vet is in FL & has been for least 15 years & Blu got to Ill.

Hurricane Aviaries Inc, provides high quality hand fed baby birds. We sell primarily wholesale to pet shops but also sell to breeders and individuals.

Website does say she bred quaker mutations so its possible.
Her website lists Kaytee as a affiliated comp
any & they were breeders with not the best report.

Would be nice if he did though as guess he would have most likely had a very good background but she must have help breeding the birds as she is a vet & she can't be handfeeding them all the time.

Seems she makes rescued birds available for adoption.
There are 4 green quakers $25 ea & 2 blue $100...Blue is more $

No Feather Left Behind: Birds Adoptable at Rainforest Clinic, FL

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for the links camelotshadow. I didn't see that one with the adoptables.

Yes, Blu has a band that says HA FL. I spoke with the people who sold him to me and they told me he's one of her birds.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Dr Susan Clubb is one of the premiere names in the avian community. She was heavily involved in ABRC when they were around. I did a consult with her when Reggie D2 had zinc poisoning. She's very good and open with her knowledge. I even have a book signed by her!:)

As for why she would be an advocate for rescue birds and breed, I think it's the perfect pairing! Someone who can be open minded and knows both sides of the coin. She's spent most of her career promoting the breeding of species that are not common, another thing that I find exceptional in a breeder.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cool you were concerned about breeder n mutations so guess she would be one of the best ones.:heart:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Dr Susan Clubb is one of the premiere names in the avian community. She was heavily involved in ABRC when they were around. I did a consult with her when Reggie D2 had zinc poisoning. She's very good and open with her knowledge. I even have a book signed by her!:)

As for why she would be an advocate for rescue birds and breed, I think it's the perfect pairing! Someone who can be open minded and knows both sides of the coin. She's spent most of her career promoting the breeding of species that are not common, another thing that I find exceptional in a breeder.
Cool! Now I feel privileged to have one of her babies! Thanks for sharing.

Cool you were concerned about breeder n mutations so guess she would be one of the best ones.:heart:

That's so true. Mutations do kind of scare me, whether that's a rational fear or not. But you're right about that. If there is a breeder to trust, I guess Dr Clubb would be the one. :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mutation problems are mostly early in breeding as there are not alot of unrelated birds. Blue quakers have been bred many years n pretty sure she would not breed closely related.

Anyway you got really lucky.

Just read they have been bred since 1940s so its 75 years...lots of generations.

Sort of like brown vs blue eyes.

Last edited:

ndflores

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm interested in contacting Hurricane Aviaries. I'm the proud new mom of a GCC and the employees at store are unsure of the gender. They tell me she is a girl but I was wondering if the hatchery she came from could confirm this? Is there a way to contact them and find out? I've tried googling them and I can't find anything. I have her certificate with hatch date and band number.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm interested in contacting Hurricane Aviaries. I'm the proud new mom of a GCC and the employees at store are unsure of the gender. They tell me she is a girl but I was wondering if the hatchery she came from could confirm this? Is there a way to contact them and find out? I've tried googling them and I can't find anything. I have her certificate with hatch date and band number.
I don't think they DNA them at Hurricane aviary because my boy was unsexed when I got him. I just had a feeling he was a he and then when I took him in for his first check up I paid for the DNA testing myself.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Haha! Reading back on this, a year ago, I called Blu neurotic. :shy:

I would like to apologize to him and to you all.

He's actually a pretty amazing bird. A busy body trouble maker but he is very smart and 63% sweet. :p

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I doubt the hatchery would have done DNA testing on babies. Your best bet is to order or print a DNA card, bring it to the vet and next time your bird needs blood drawn, have them put 2-3 drops on the card and send it in yourself. It's only about $15 if you do it that way.
Here are a few places that do it:

AVIAN DNA SEXING TEST - HealthGene Laboratory

About Us

Accu-Metrics- DNA-Vian Testing

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If your GCC is a mutation (cinnamon and/or opaline), then it would potentially be quite easy to nest-sex the chicks - with the right pairing.

Cinnamon male x normal female
100% normal males split cinnamon
100% cinnamon females

Normal male split opaline x normal female
50% normal males
50% normal males split opaline
50% normal females
50% opaline females

Cinnamon and opaline can be interchanged or even together, but just to give you an idea.... Pairings like that, no DNA test required! ;)

As far as Dr Susan Clubb goes... (responding to the older bits of the thread) - I'd have to agree with Jen. I'd rather see a breeder help with rescue and rehoming of birds rather than rescuing and putting said birds into a breeding program. Not to say that I'm against that, either... just, not every bird in need of a home because the owners don't know how to handle it should become a breeder bird. Sometimes, if you end up with a rare bird where the genetics matter, then yes, if you can get that bird into a breeding program, despite it being a rehome/rescue, and the bird is healthy, then by all means, do it! (re: Presley the Spix - who didn't pass on his genes... :( )

And I'd be curious in meeting her someday! :D

ndflores

Checking out the neighborhood
I don't think they DNA them at Hurricane aviary because my boy was unsexed when I got him. I just had a feeling he was a he and then when I took him in for his first check up I paid for the DNA testing myself.
roughly how much was that?