• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hummingbirds

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My husband sent me this link to this most interesting video with facts about hummingbirds. So cool, these birds are one of God's most fascinating creations. He's been photographing hummingbirds lately at Brookgreen Gardens just south of our home. This is one of his latest shots he sent me.

Link to the video -

HummersBRKGRNflyermark.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Beautiful. :) I love hummingbirds.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I spent a lot of time snapping hummers with my XT dslr in 09 when I broke my arm and was off going broke for 4 months. Spent a lot of time trying to get the iso speed and other settings just right. It is nice to be able to take over a thousand shots on one card and be able to delete in camera.
Poor xt could hardly shoot fast enough to stop their wings but I did get a lot of nice shots of them at our feeders, plus all the other song birds while recuperating.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I love them too. my parents had lake home in northern MN. I was up there for a few days helping them get ready for a family party. mom asked me to collect all the hummingbird feeders in the yard (about 6 of them plus oriole feeder). I bought them inside while she scrubbed them out and sanitized them. I stirred the sugar syrup for the next batch. she filled all the feeders and I brought them back outside. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ around my ears, I froze because I am allergic to bee stings. mom was watching out the window. just hold still and then lighter then a feather on my shoulder landed a ruby throated hummer. I stood there as several more buzzed by my head. I walked slowly to the hook that feeder was hung on. I hung the feeder and little ruby went to the feeder each feeder I hung I had hummer in it, b/4 get it upside down. they are so pretty.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Back in the mid seventies my parents owned a small restaurant and when I went to work there one day my mother hands me this lunch sack that is closed up and says "Open it". She had a smile on her face and I took the bag and it moved. I looked at her thinking it was a prank and asked 'what's in the bag?". Open it! So I barely opened it and peeked in. It was a hummingbird! What! "Where did you get that!" She was going in to a pharmacy on her way to the restaurant and saw it stuck in a spider web by the door, went inside and got a bag and gently grabbed it and put it in and took it to work with her waiting for me to show up. I took the bag outside and reached in and picked it up around it's body and held it up to the hummingbird feeders she had outside the restaurant ( next to a small pond) and held it's beak up to one of the feeders and out came that long tongue and it drank quite a bit! Then I took it over to a tree stump and set it down. I didn't have time to watch it but when I went back out to see if it was still there it had gone. It was so cool to actually hold one. I didn't remember this story until just now… happy days those were!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
amazing photos! wow! And love the story!