• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifiers

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's that time of year and I need to get another humidifier, any suggestions?? This would be in the same room as Valentine's cage

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
wondering myself

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I have one directly installed to my furnace

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I bought a vaporizer that they sell for use in babies' rooms.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
After doing a ton of research I got a Enviracare Germ Free Warm Mist Humidifier. I've had it for about 2-3 years, and so far so good! I only use it in the winter, and at night in the room where their sleep cages are. It's not powerful enough to use in the family room where the birds are during the day.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have 2, one in the living room that is cool humidifier and one that is my bedroom that is a steam one. the one in living room has to cleaned weekly and special anti-bacterial stuff poured into the water. it's a pain. the steam one needs to go back to Kaz because it quit working.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
This is kind of a dumb question :ashamed1: but how do humidifiers help birds in the colder months and how necessary do you all think it would be to have one?

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
When the heat kicks on, if you don't have a humidifier built in, the heat and the cold weather outside makes the air very dry. People experience the effects of this as well often in the forms of congestion, dry throat, and dry skin. I also notice TONS of static electricity. I can't pet my cat without shocking her if I don't run a humidifier in my apartment.

I use a Honeywell warm mist humidifier in my main room/bedroom and a Crane cool mist in my bird room. I run them 24/7 once the heat turns on, and they're both filterless models, so water treatment tablets and weekly cleanings are important to stay on top of. I think they're pretty important, but for many years (especially living with my parents), I never had one. Considering how sensitive birds are, I imagine anything I can feel, they feel too - but exacerbated. Their lungs are more efficient, but most species aren't well adapted to dry environments. Even if it's not an absolute necessity, I think it provides more comfort for everyone in the household during the winter months.

eta; the Crane is new that I just bought this year. Before this, I had a much smaller Sunbeam humidifier (a little cubicle sized one), but both Sunbeam and Honeywell have served me well for 3 years now.

Last edited:

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Ooh, okay. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

I've just browsed Amazon a bit, and anyone have thoughts about a Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier? (The one I'm looking at right now is here.) The reviews seem to point at it basically being what you pay for (since it is one of the least expensive humidifiers on the market) but since Brodie spends most of his time in one room (as do we -- yay small apartment :meh:) it might do okay for us since it is only a 1-room humidifier.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
The thing you have to watch on the warm mist ones is that some of the heaters have a coating of Teflon/ptfe on them to help with cleaning scale deposits.
You need to contact the manufacturer to find out if they use ptfe.