• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifier

Jsef37

Moving in
I live not too far out of Chicago, and anyone who lives in the Midwest knows how dry it can be in the Winter months. Yesterday I spent the entire morning and looking up different humidifiers. I heard that warm mist humidifiers work best for really achieving your desired humidity. I sent messages out to a couple of different manufacturers, but it seems like most of the heating coils have PTFE or Teflon coatings. Although of course one manufacturer sent me a response saying that in order to prevent damage to the coils there is a PTFE coating, however it is not released into the air and would not harm humans or pets.... yeah, not gonna trust them on that one!
Does anyone have a humidifier recommendation? Our 1st floor (where her cage is) is very open floor plan, so one that works in large rooms/areas would be best! I know filters can be dangerous too... I didn't realize it would be so difficult finding a filter-free, warm mist, PTFE and teflon free humidifier!!!!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Gonna bump in this thread because I also live in the Midwest and this would be nice in the winter!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I went with a cool mist one because of the PTFE issue. For me what I do is make sure to completely dump out the water when it runs dry and rinse the basin and filter with vinegar to prevent it from dispersing any mold into the air. I also change the filter usually twice a season instead of the recommended once.

It is more work this way but it is safer IMO. This is the one I have.

AIRCARE 6-Gal. Evaporative Humidifier for 2,300 sq. ft.-826000 - The Home Depot

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I found most humidifiers to be too much yuck and work.
Filters would become unusable due to hard water and bacteria far more quickly than I wanted to spend money on expensive replacements.
I'd be sitting there every week with q-tips and dental picks scraping yuck out of poorly designed crevices in the humidifier body for more time than I had for something so stupid. I swear the extra time was more than having an extra pet.
The cool mists just left white dust all over everything.
For many years (about 17) I've been using Venta airwashers. I refill daily and dump them empty and refill every 2 days, and run the thing outside with clorox solution in it every month or when needed.
As an added advantage, if you get those tiny gnats that can fit thru window screens...they are attracted to the humidity and are sucked in and drowned. Of course if I'm getting a lot of those I dump out nightly.
yes they are expensive but they last many years, you never have to buy a filter, and my time is valuable and I spend less of it cleaning the humidifier while easily being sure it is not contaminated as often as I want.
edit to add - I use them as humidifiers and rely on my Rabbit Airs for hepa air cleaning.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane