• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifier?

Jarston

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Roy
Virginia, like a lot of places in the US, has been bitterly cold over the last week. The air in the room with my fids has gotten very dry, since the heater has been working over time. Do any of you use humidifiers with your fids? If so, is any particular type especially good or potentially bad? I've been putting aloe in the bath water, but I think I should be doing something more. Also my freind purchased a warm mist humidifier by Venta Airwasher https://www.evababygear.com/best-baby-humidifier/ he found a treatment for the humidifier that prevents the build-up of lime scale and it says it keeps the water clean and odor free. It contains citric acid and cationic. Does anyone know if this would be harmful to him bird if he added it to the humidifier water? Thanks!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
This is an excellent question. I'd also like to know what would be the best unit to purchase. :geek:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been using a Levoit humidifier for over a year and it's great!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have been through several humidifiers that were bulky and had large water tanks. This kind of design is also hard to manage for me. They are heavy and cleaning becomes a real chore. (usually with vinegar and water) Some have expensive filters you need to renew ever so often.

Last year I discovered the Pure Ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. What an improvement! This little gem runs for at least 24 hours on low setting without the light function. Very easily cleaned too. After I bought the first one for the birds, liked it so much I got a second one. They should be cleaned after every use with a vinegar water solution and there is a small disc in the bottom that gets cleaned and brushed with a small brush that is included. I really cant say enough good things about this one.

Amazon.com: Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Premium Humidifying Unit with 1.5L Water Tank, Whisper-Quiet Operation, Automatic Shut-Off and Night Light Function - Lasts Up to 16 Hours: Home & Kitchen