• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifier tips?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just got a humidifier for my birds since it gets really dry here in the winter. I've had it running a couple of times now but I can't tell if it's making a difference. I ordered a temp/ humidity monitor but still waiting for it to get here.

Where would be a good place to put it where my birds will get the benefit? Right now I have it across the room from them because anywhere else they'll get food/ feathers in it but I feel like it would be more effective if it was closer to them. How long should I have it running? I think it only lasts a few hours until it runs out of water. I fill it up before I go to bed but there's still a chunk of the day where it's not on because I'm not up to fill it. Should I look into getting one that will hold more water?

Just looking for some general into/ tips on how to get the most out of it for my birds, thanks!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have mine on about 5 feet from Blu's cage area. He doesn't seem to mind it at all. It lasts about 24 hours before I have to refill it. I have a cheap hydrogometer (I hope that's what it's called) so it tells me that it needs to be on all the time when the heat is on because if it's not on the room struggles to even hit 30%.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've had it running a couple of times now but I can't tell if it's making a difference.
You've got to run it all the time in order for it to do its job. Over a period of days the humidity will go up.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I guess I'll have to look into getting a bigger one because mine runs out of water so quickly :shifty:

I mostly bought the humidifier for my GCC, although I'm guessing my other birds could benefit from it as well. I have a small bedside humidifier that I used in my dorm, do you think it would be helpful to put that right by his cage in addition to the one I have now? It would be temporary until I get a larger one but his one nostril seems a bit irritated and I'm hoping getting the humidity up might help (he does have a vet appt. on Monday to get his nose checked out).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Right by the cage would be the most efficient and effective. There’s lots of ways to raise humidity. You can boil water on the stove. Place glass or metal jars of water on top of heating vents. Anything that evaporates water.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's very important to keep them clean per directions for the product. Do you have a way to tell the percentage of humidity?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's very important to keep them clean per directions for the product. Do you have a way to tell the percentage of humidity?
I did some research and asked on here if a humidifier would be safe and a lot of people actually recommended I get one (especially after I said that static was causing me to shock my bird when I touch him). I was worried because I know it can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Everyone who has one said they haven't had any issues, I will be sure to clean it often. I have a monitor coming in the mail but its not here yet, so right now I don't have a way to tell.

Also, I love the picture of your budgies! they look so judgmental! lol! :laughin:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I put mine right next to my birds cage, and I can get my humidity up to a little over 30%. I like the warm mist, germ free types for people with allergies and asthma. Misting your birds frequently will help too.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The one I have is warm so I guess that's good. How do you keep your birds from making a mess of it? My birds make a mess all over the floor, if I put it next to their cages they'd get all kinds of stuff in it.