• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Human Raised Starling Needs New Home <MD/VA area USA>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spratt

Moving in
Hi,

Someone I know has a starling that they raised from a nestling and due to life circumstances has come to the difficult and painful decision that they need to try and rehome her. She's one year old, very tame and friendly, and loves to hang out with people. I have too many other birds to give her the care and attention she would need. Unfortunately, neither of us is able to travel, so if someone were interested they'd need to be local or willing to drive a long distance. I know that's asking a lot. Due to the contradictory and controversial laws surrounding owning a starling, I'd rather not post an exact location on a public forum. If you're interested please PM me for more details.

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm too far away but we raised a tiny female house finch we rescued from a crow. She bonded and happily sang and played with her toys. I'm pretty sure starlings are a invasive species so no law against keeping them as pets if I'm right. I doubt unless it became super obvious someone has a starling that anybody would care as common as they are. Finches aren't legal but we never had a issue and a vet even said they would be ok with treating her.
I hope you find a good home for him.

Spratt

Moving in
Thanks, iamwhoiam. StarlingTalk was actually the first place I posted about her. So far no luck. :(
I really hope I can find a loving home for her.

Oh, I see, Dartman. House finches are adorable. :) I'm fairly certain they're considered invasive as well and legal to keep in most states. I know starlings are not generally an issue, as they are supposed to be legal to keep, but I suppose I'm just paranoid after hearing about a person who'd had a disabled starling taken away by the game commission. Not everyone in authority seems to understand the laws, or the laws in some states are blurry and allow removing nests and killing starlings, but not keeping them as pets.

Thanks for your replies.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Try contacting wildlife rehabs in the area, they may know some starling lovers or may be able to use the little one as a educational animal.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes it takes a while for people to respond on Starling Talk. It's doesn't seem to be as active as it used to be.
There are many who keep European Starlings as pets as well as house sparrows (Passer domesticus) because they are not illegal to keep since they are non native birds.

Spratt

Moving in
Ah, I'm sorry I mixed up house finches and house sparrows. I meant house sparrows earlier. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.