• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How's every ones HH's doing?

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hi all,

Just thought with the sidewalk sale on today i would pop in and see how everyones HH's are doing?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome back!

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I'm quite late for this thread but mine is doing well. How is your HH doing?

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
Mine is doing fine! She is now about 10 and is sassy as ever! I was looking on the web and there don't appear to be a lot of birds out there available. Just wondering if there are not as many people wanting HH's as pets these days. I do admit they can be quite a challenge but so special at the same time!

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Mines having a tough spring, we weren't able to afford his hormone implant (sounds worse than it is as far as he's concerned) this year, so we've had to let him handle the spring on his own. He was really doing great until about a week or two ago when he started a molt. He's dropping feathers that he mostly left alone during the season as well as a couple he chewed on a bit but he won't let the replacement feathers grow all the way in. Very hard to deal with for us. Hoping that we can get him through this last part. I think all the crazy weather we've had here just kind of sent him into a second spring. Hoping he starts recovering quickly. He always has bounced back as soon as he gets to his molt, so its weird having it go backwards this year. I will be so happy when he gets himself refeathered. I think it always looks worse to me than it really is. I mean, he's still got his beautiful colors just under his wings not much there.

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
Zoey has been showing some cage aggression this spring. I thought we were though it but now she is back to attacking when you get near her cage. She is ok with me most of the time but not my husband. It is hard because I travel a lot with work and my husband and has trouble feeding her and cant let her out while I am away. Do the hormone implants work for females?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
How far along till every HH started showing signs of aggression? Mine is a year in a half now. She she quite the character. Was super aggressive till I snapped her out of it but she was fairly young at that point less than a year. Just waiting for hormones to kick in now. When did they kick in for your HH's?

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
Around 3 years, but overall she was ok as long as she was with people she had known her whole life. Now ( at 8 years) she has tuned on everyone but me and sometimes I can not even handle her :(. I need to find a cage that has QUICK access feeders. I travel and sometimes my husband gets pretty close to getting bit while feeding her (makes him very grouchy!) and finding a pet sitter who is not scared to death of her while we are both gone is impossible. Any suggestions?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I wish I had a suggestion for you. I know with my girl, if I make a fuss after she bites me, oh my gosh I get it 10 fold. And she is a year in a half. I have a few seconds tops to get her in her cage or get gutted by this vicious, hissing, flaring nonstop machine. I can tell you this ... don't make a fuss it only makes them more aggressive. I think it's just something us HH owners have to deal with kid gloves and that is that. After Gimby bouts of anger I don't go around her for an hour at least till she cools down. I think to with these birds to that they need as much exercise as possible to get out that pent up energy which can easily turn to aggression.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Wow, I haven't been here in a while, either. Seems like that darn facebook is a trap!! lol!

Maverick is now 3, and fiesty as ever. He goes through his plucking in January, and now we are feathered again. What's interesting though, is i noticed that when the birds are out, they always went into eachother's cages. So I permanently switched them. Both seem happier, actually. *shrug*.

Attached are a few recent-ish shots of Maverick.

Attachments