• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Hey guy as some of you know I am looking into getting a bird. But there is one down side I have a dog and another down side she is a english bull terrier those with the oval heads and she is stubborn, I would like to know how to train her not to kill and eat the bird once I get it and she turns one year old next year February so she is still puppyish . Thanks

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You just have to keep saying no or whatever command you're going to use and never EVER leave them alone in the same room especially if your dog has a strong hunting instinct.
It can be challenging but it is possible.
Our bird is flighted so if he ever needs to get away he can.
However, before he was clipped because one of our dogs (now passed and was special needs) would leap in the air and try to catch him as he was taking off. My husband had to fight the dog for the bird and almost broke his finger. And our bird realized he was safer perched on our shoulder than flying around.
And you have to make sure you walk/run your dog so that their minds aren't bored and they don't try to self entertain by eating the bird.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
ok thanks birdlove i will turn up the discipline. my birds will also be flighted, will keeping her tired help distracting her

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First of all I need pics of her! I love English Bull Terriers!:D Secondly, you are dealing with an extremely reactive breed. They are very territorial and reactive. They also have a high prey drive. I have worked with several in the show ring and grooming. Your girl is young so these traits may be in hyper drive. However, her young age will help if you are extremely deligent with your training. Start using an obeject to train her to stay away from. Get those commands down so she learns what is expected from her. Never, ever leave her in the same room as your bird.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A small stuffed animal may work.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
thanks ill try that, but it will be tuff she loves chewing stuffed animals

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:faint: She is precious!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

themacaw

Walking the driveway
thanks greycloud and stubborn like you wont belive oh guess its part of being a english bull terrier isnt it

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hi
My babies are pit bulls. And they like my conures! Any advise please ask. Believe me I know!

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Teach Bambi the word "bird" and "no" to start. I use the word "bad" too. Lol the birds say "bad" The dogs understand to respect their birds or cat or iguana. But any others they chase them out of the yard. Bambi will learn. Takes time...

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Since you already know your dog and the high risk it is to bring a bird into your home with Bambi, are you willing to risk the bird's life when something does happen? Bambi was there first, and to add a bird to the mix to me is not being responsible to any future bird. I know this is not what you want to hear but you have to be honest with yourself in the dynamics that are highly likely to happen.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have schnauzers that are also in the terrier family. I am not familiar with the traits of Bambi's breed... my dogs will relentless hunt a toy--I would suggest not using a toy to teach her with as you want her to play with the toys, not birds. My dogs are also excitable about birds at the outdoor feeder. They quickly learned that the bird is a "no" (birds today!-have a foster bird). They seem to know and I have reinforced leaving the birds alone. They seem to understand the power of the beak. I had a cat once they hunted as a pack... so I am not sure why, but they do not view Louise (or Grady) as prey. I thought I was going to have many more problems but do not have any. Just know the limits of your dog. If my dogs hunted Louise, then we would have a problem and I suspect it would be Louise who would have to go. Fortunately, that is not an issue at all....We tested things out a little bit before Louise came here.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Conures and pit bulls get along great! Lol yes the dogs know the power of the beak too. And they also know that's their birds not outsiders. I don't clip their wings. My male conure is a rescue(ex breeder never a pet)super aggressive and lucky to have a home. After a year he's happy and talking. Now my cat that's a different story. Cats and birds no mix.....

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
As a person who as worked in vet clinics and has seen first hand what dogs can do to birds it is always better to just keep the separate ... :)

themacaw

Walking the driveway
thanks everyone so would you guys advise to use a toy to train her or not