• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to turn your kitchen scale into a bird scale for >$10!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
With the cool weather returning, I want to get back into training Kiwi. Considering the VERY slow progress we've been making, I'm thinking of putting him on a 3 day a week training meal-plan (regular feedings the other 4 days) and need to weigh him daily for that. I have used the kitchen scale for years to weight him once a week, but it a hassle since it has no perch. After seeing the prices on bird scales:eek::eek::eek: I decided to DIY my own solution. It's super easy and should work with any larger, flat kitchen scale!

Basically, it's just a tiny perch, extra careful to accurately cut all pieces to size so the perch lays perfectly flat, which is important to get an accurate weight (there should be no wobble, I had to re-cut a piece to make it flat):

You basically just sit it on top and tare out the scale (make it go to zero to accommodate for the weight of the perch so you can accurately weigh the bird):

Then you weigh your bird:D (Bird may be unsure of perch at first, poor, sweet tolerant Kiwi:p)

All the pieces cost >$10 at Home Depot. I used 1/2" PVC with 6 "U" joints and 2 "t" joints. Took about an hour to make and a blister on the palm from cutting the pvc:(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The stand came out nicely.

Matt

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Thanks. And it weighs him accurately too without the hassle of getting him to stay on the scale while the weight registers. So much easier with a perch than a flat surface!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had my local bird store make a wooden perch for my scale.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing it.
:)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Kiwibird08

I broke down and bought a pvc cutter. We make a little larger T stand every year to donate to gateway parrot clubs bird fairfair. These are handy to give birds a bath on. We don't glue them together......So you can take apart and drain them

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
bottle of wine....models own
looks like my kitchen :)
Lol, I had family visit a few weeks ago and they left the half-drank bottle. I don't know what to do with it! My husband doesn't drink white wine and I don't drink at all. You want it:D

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
@Kiwibird08

I broke down and bought a pvc cutter. We make a little larger T stand every year to donate to gateway parrot clubs bird fairfair. These are handy to give birds a bath on. We don't glue them together......So you can take apart and drain them
I have one of those tiny PVC cutters, and it is a pain to use!

That is so nice you make stands for the bird club! I don't think there is a bird club around where I live (?).

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Cool! By the way, the > in the title the wrong way. >10 means more than ten, while <10 means less than ten. Sorry for being neurotic, it was driving me crazy so I thought i'd point it out. It's not important =P