• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to train 2 bonded parrotlets?

KatieChildress

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
I just got 2 young male parrotlets from the pet store. Obviously very bonded.
I've had parrotlets before, but never 2 at once and already bonded.

What recommendations does anyone have in regards to training them?

I've been putting my hand gently in & out of the cage and they've started fluttering around as much, they intently watch my budgie eat millet out of my hand & it seems like they are becoming a little more curious to that, and handling them out of the cage daily.

Patience, yes. I assume it's going to be months!

Any suggestions?! Thank you so much!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

seamonkeychar

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
All I have to input is, I wouldn't 100% assume they are bonded, and even if they are getting along now, they will not necessarily stay that way. Parrotlets don't often do well with cage mates, particularly same sex cage mates. As they get more comfortable I'd keep a close eye on them to catch any signs of aggression.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Parrotlets often bond to other birds more strongly than people, so it can be a challenge taming two of them down. I agree with @seamonkeychar because they can be extremely aggressive even to their mates. Unless their cage is huge so they can escape each other when they're going crazy, I might suggest separating them. Separating them would also make taming them easier.
My bird is super territorial and aggressive, and we've never had another bird in the house! All it takes is another bird chirping, or a housefly buzzing too near his cage, and that will set him off. Puffed up, marching around, displaced aggression, charging and lunging. Birdie puberty can be really difficult with him, sometimes.o_O He started at 7 mo, and I've read that they keep being really crazy like this until about two years old.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine is not territorial at all, he even lets the canary in his cage. Weirdo.

@KatieChildress Skittles came to us having been hand fed, but he was hand shy. So I started opening his door and letting him fly around the bird room while I was feeding, cleaning, etc. Also I put a perch on the outside of the cage and held up yummy treats, mostly millet. He would hang upside down from inside and S-T-R-E-T-C-H to eat it but finally got brave enough to come out and eat it. Still doesn't get on my hand but he doesn't flinch if I lay my hand by him.

Eventually he started landing on us. He likes hubby better than me, so he landed on him first, and will 'ride' on him into the living area or office and stay for an hour or two. He just finally rode on me a few days ago. I said "good boy!" and he acted like "What? I'm always like this."

Sadly, I think if you don't want them bonded so much to each other you need to have them live separately and only play together for a certain amount of time. However I wonder if they wouldn't be happy with you joining their 'flock' and they stay together?

KatieChildress

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Thank you for the info!
Bert and Ernie snuggle and follow each other in and out of the cage, except Bert can be a jerk out of no where! It does worry me so I put 2 water dishes and 2 food dishes JUST IN CASE but seems as though Ernie's not being bullied to not eat.

What warning signs would you look for when determining if separate cages would be a good move?

Thank you so much everyone!

seamonkeychar

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
From the blog of Sandee Molenda, who bred parrotlets for 30 years, ran the International Parrotlet Society, and literally wrote the book on parrotlets (The Parrotlet Handbook)

"I generally don’t recommend keeping two parrotlets as companions for one another. Pet parrotlets imprint on humans through the hand-feeding and socialization processes. They lose their instinct to bond with other birds and usually look at another bird as a rival or competitor not a companion or friend to keep them company. Also, as I have stated, they are territorial and aggressive and one often becomes dominant over the other and will not allow the other bird to eat, perch, etc. It doesn’t matter if they are being kept in an appropriate sized cage or a huge flight – they will attempt to drive the intruder out and this can result in injury or even death of one of the birds. Most people eventually have to house them separately and watch them whenever they are out of their cages and have physical access to one another. Most parrotlets that have a large cage, lots of toys and daily interaction with their owners are perfectly contented and healthy and not need nor want the companionship of another bird. "

Honestly, I would just go ahead and separate them now, or as soon as you can. A member on a FB parrotlet group recently (in the last few weeks) bought 2 young female parrotlets and put them in the same cage, and within a week one had killed the other. From what I understand she noticed plucking, and next thing she knew one baby was gone. :( I'm not trying to use scare tactics or seem severe, but there is a reason that most people who keep parrotlets will only keep them in the same cage for breeding purposes (and even then mates will sometimes kill each other).