• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent How to tell if a bird is egg bound

avieriley

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Just call me Avie (:
I think my female budgie MAY be egg bound but I'm not sure and I don't know what to do. This is her first time ever being in breeding condition. She got herself into her water and got wet. It looks like she might be having trouble breathing/straining the abdomen, but I can't tell if it's because of egg binding or just normal. I don't want her to die just because I wasn't sure if she was sick or not. Please help me. Thank you.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Get her to an avian vet ASAP! It's not worth her life to procrastinate!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
First a vet check is your Very best way to determine if your bird is in trouble and if she is, a vet is right there to help.

If she is eating normally, not tail bobbing during inactivity, keep her warm and try to increase the humidity in her environment.

If it’s truly egg binding, you’ll need to get her to the vet. I recently had this and they had to help pass the egg. Often they will aspirate the egg with a needle which then collapes the shell inside and is expelled.

They should pass a formed egg within 2-4 days. The problem is knowing when that egg became formed.

Also when they are ready to lay and actively laying, they do appear uncomfortable and appear to strain. This should not continue for hours and hours.

Warm and humid right now. Do you have a hot water bottle (safer than a heating pad) you can sit under a smaller cage for her and drape with something flannel until you can get her to the vet?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My vet massaged the egg out under anesthesia

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My vet massaged the egg out under anesthesia
That’s what she had to do with Julip when the needle wouldn’t go in the egg.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
See avian vet ASAP