• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Teach Step Up

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
At least my Pionus is VERY different from any bird I have or have had! She is very introverted unlike any fids I've known. Yep. Call it what you want; she is different.
This is my first and only Pi so I don’t have a lot for comparison. I see that @Eloy’s birds are more friendly and outgoing that mine, which I thought was because he was a rescue.

Anyway he suits me fine - I’m an extreme introvert myself.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie

This is my first and only Pi so I don’t have a lot for comparison. I see that @Eloy’s birds are more friendly and outgoing that mine, which I thought was because he was a rescue.
Same here!!! That's why I recommended that book. There's so much I learned from it. I'd never had a bird hiss and purr at me before. @Dartman taught me more than he probably realizes. @ Eloy has helped me through everyday life with a Pi.

It's really sad that anyone would abuse such an introverted bird.

Hey, something I just did today was give Sherman some cork and she loved destroying it.... quietly and secretly though.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm glad to hear all my time with my Maxis and stories have helped folks and I have had them as various individuals since 78. Lurch took 5 years to mostly decide I was trustworthy and his chosen one so don't be discouraged if your bird takes a while to make the decision that you are worthy of his trust and love, but it will happen eventually as you learn to trust each other then he'll be a loyal friend for the rest of his life. Nerd was very introverted and shy but I was his world and he trusted and loved me completely. I was the only one to grudgingly be allowed to reach into his cage so I didn't abuse the privilege. Lurch was a used parrot mad at the world, scared to death, and quuck to bite. We wore each other down and he decided I was his chosen one and would fly after me like a feathered puppy when I left his sight. Biting for him was a feature but he finally gave plenty of warning and didn't try as hard because he truly cared about me but corrections must be made. Dobby is the most socialized, outgoing, friendly and mischievous Maxi I have ever known. He has chosen my sister and plops on her whenever she tries to leave his area. I am reduced to walnut provider and protection. They watch their flock and choose who they choose and with luck it's you. I figure as long as they're happy that's all that really counts.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm glad to hear all my time with my Maxis and stories have helped folks
We love your stories! Probably more than you know.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I was going to say, I'm autistic myself, it doesn't say anything about how smart someone is, it honestly just means I take in the world and show my feelings differently, so I think it makes some sense, since Pis are different than most birds, often not wanting to be touched and seeming a lot more "emotion-less" because their reactions are more subtle, which is something people say about people with autism a lot. Even though, of course we have feelings, and so do Pis, we just don't act exactly the same as other people expect. I think it makes enough sense to compare them that way.

She has really been coming out of her shell in exciting new ways this past week. She started to try to jump or fly to come towards me, but she still isn't comfortable landing on my hands or arms, or head or shoulders or anything, so she just hovered over me for a few seconds, flapping, trying to figure out how to land, but then gave up and flew away to her cage haha. It's nice that she wants to be around me even if she's still a bit unsure about how to!

I only have one small concern left, it's her toenail on one foot, I mentioned in my first post that I think the breeder might have hurt it by holding her feet down, it looks a bit crooked, like it might be dislodged or something. The vet didn't really notice it during her checkup, but it seems like she's trying to pull it out, and that she might be succeeding? I can't tell for sure, but it seems like she pulled it out a bit farther than the other nails. Is that something she might do, pull it off, trying to fix her own messed up nail? I know that many birds have lost toes or toe nails and been fine, so she'll probably be okay, I'm probably just worrying too much! I just don't want her to pull it off and start bleeding or something! I'll see if I can get a good photo tomorrow and ask over in the health part of the forums maybe?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I appreciate and congratulate you! So often, it's just easier to avoid people because they offer pity instead recognizing successes. That's one reason birds and I get along so well.

Because of my schedule, I changed private time with Sherman, WCP. It's been almost a week and Sherman still sits in the back corner of her cage glaring at me.

Re her toenail, just make sure you have styptic powder like Kwik Stop on hand for any potential bleeding.

The vet gave me some neat things. He had some SMALL lab vials with caps. To take up space, he put cotton balls inside then Kwik Stop on top and sealed them. He gave them to me saying they'd work perfectly for toes and nails. If a toe or toenail starts bleeding, slide her toe or even her foot in. He showed me how it would work and voila.

I keep the vials in the drawer by her cage with a packet of KwikStop but have never had cause to use them with her! If nothing else, it gives me peace of mind.

@Brittany0208 deals with her Vasa Java's foot daily. Sherman, WCP, is missing all toenails on her left foot and has a major gripping problem on that side. Receiving blankets lined her cage and I was even contemplating moving into her room. The members joined in with helpful ideas to deal with her problem. (Thanks, AA members!)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think it makes enough sense to compare them that way.
Interesting! I consider them “like introverts “ (I am so introverted the tests call me a hermit) for the same reasons. Quiet, subtle, and observant. :)
The flying and hovering is fun and normal. She’ll figure it out— and will be so proud when she lands on you!

I would call the vet about the nail. Yes they can and will pull them off if painful but the vet might have a better idea.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Thanks! Good to know. I'll try to give the vet a call on Tuesday since I'm guessing they'll be closed on Monday, hopefully she won't pull on it too much before then.