• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to tame a mynah bird

Fluidless

Moving in
Real Name
Huzaif
I'm having a trouble. I can't handled my mynah recently my grand uncle had bought this from a pet store for me dnt worry it's licensed. But it's afraid of me and it eats on his own which I am thankfull but I want to tame it I want to hand feed it so can anyone help me how

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Do you know how old the bird is? How long have you had him? A new home is scary for a bird. If you just got him, I would just spend time for now sitting with him, talking to him, even reading to him until he gets more comfortable with his surroundings.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I second what @sunnysmom has said. My aunt had an Indian Mynah for many, many years: his name was Chili Old Pal:xflove:. He was am amazing talker and such a clown. He did have a nasty nip though:eek::laugh:
I find keeping a calm presence near the bird and reading really starts the relationship off well. For those that don't enjoy reading themselves, even reading posts from social media will do. I always read the latest, funny posts from AA to my Eros. He seems to love it.
Time is also key. Do not rush things. That can only set you back. Steadily moving closer whenever he's become comfortable with the new distance. I can't remember Chili's favourite treats but maybe every time you walk past the cage, pop in a treat and then when the time is right, start feeding treats from your hands.
Good luck!!

Fluidless

Moving in
Real Name
Huzaif
Sunnysmom
Yeah it's been a week and they are kinda comfortable thy sometimes come closer and when I have treat
They come rush for that treat but they will stay when they come closer like 7 inches away
Some times I leave them to walk around the house play around but when I am approaching it doesn't get scared cuz it knows that I won't do anything thank u for ur reply for a second I thought no one is gonna reply and they are like 8 weeks old I guess cuz they have hair accept at their neck
But they are still babies

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Reading a book yes. I will find out but I am in South Africa so very often it is a native treat that isn't readily available... Will let you know ASAP

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Blueberries make a great treat:)

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Hi, you're saying they now, do you have more than one? That will make it harder to tame them because they will prefer each other.

I have a Mynah, who was not tame. I started by spending time by the cage. Mynahs need to eat quite a lot of protein for a bird so I used live mealworms as a treat to bond with her. At first I dropped them into a food bowl by me, then fed through the bars then put my whole hand in the cage so she had to stand on me to get the worms.

Mine can't be picked up, but she will fly to me and my husband when she's out and hop all over us and spend time playing whenever she wants to. We're not interested in having her any tamer because she's our little wild thing, but it is definitely possible to teach them to step up etc.

Love to see some photos!

Fluidless

Moving in
Real Name
Huzaif
@Jottlebot :( so I have to wait patiently
But u know they are doing good
Whenever I bring food they will rush to me but they will stop some inches away
This looks promising that I can tame them but not easily

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
@Jottlebot :( so I have to wait patiently
But u know they are doing good
Whenever I bring food they will rush to me but they will stop some inches away
This looks promising that I can tame them but not easily
Don't be unhappy! Rushing to you is really positive, I bet they'll get closer and closer each time!