• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Stop Bleeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What are you using if it begin to bleed when you file/cut their claws?

Here in Sweden we are using potato starch, but I read all over the forum that you are using corn starch, why? It it better then potato starch or what?
And No, I will not use cayenne..

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I used all that one night and she kept picking it off. I ended up rushing her to the vet and she had to have her nail cauterized :(
If you can, order the stuff that makes the bleeding stop, but better yet, get a Dremel and don't clip the nails.
If I wasn't close to a vet and lived where there wasn't one, I am sure I would have lost Coco.
She bled like nothing I have seen before. It has to be that there is something wrong with her health wise for her not to clot, it got worse and worse!

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Danita, what type dremel do you use...a regular human one? Could you please give some pointers on how to get our little ones to cooperate? Even though Kiwi is really laid back and never bites me...I had to use a towel to clip her nails

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She bled like nothing I have seen before. It has to be that there is something wrong with her health wise for her not to clot, it got worse and worse!
That must have been awful to experience. We all know how little blood they have so that would have made me freak out. I have 1,5 H car trip to my Avian vet...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I've never heard of potato starch as a product available to buy. Corn starch is pretty common here and cheap.

I've tried it and Qwik stop but honestly they are messy and it's hard to get the powder just on the cut nail. I'm afraid they'll breathe it in and they pick at it and may end up eating some. I find the bleeding stops faster with simple pressure from your finger.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I have never heard of potato starch as a retail product so that probably is the reason. I have used plain flour also in a pinch.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have Quik stop on hand but I don't even know if I've ever seen potato starch for sale or seen it in a recipe here in the USA. Cornstarch is common though.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My mom used to use potato starch to make potato pancakes and sponge cake. Manischewitz and Streits both make potato starch. I remember seeing that in the market (USA).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Here in Sweden we are using potato starch, but I read all over the forum that you are using corn starch, why? It it better then potato starch or what?
The type of starch is probably because of the country. Most people use cornstarch for cooking in the U.S. - especially for making a sauce thicker so it is a standard thing to have at home. Styptic powder or a stick is the stuff used by people to stop a cut from bleeding (usually caused by shaving). Stings like all getout.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I know we have used the "instant sealer" on one fid whose nail wouldn't stop bleeding. Instant sealer is like super glue but there is a version made for humans to use.

Rolanda

So, Eloy, do you use the same kind that one would get for cooking/eating? I might be interested in trying it. Maybe look up a recipe too... Multi purpose.:)
https://www.amazon.com/Potato-Starc...846&sr=8-7&keywords=potato+starch+powder&th=1

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So, Eloy, do you use the same kind that one would get for cooking/eating?
Yes I do. It's great to bake with. :) I also use a lot of corn starch so I have them home both.

Status
Not open for further replies.