• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to stop bird nibbling?

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
A few days ago, Sunny has gotten a bit more playful and energetic. However this has resulted in him to want to “nibble” on me. It’s not as strong as a bite out of aggression or fear, but he picks and chews on my skin/fingers whenever he gets the chance. I’m assuming he’s doing it out of curiosity and that he’s trying to see if my skin/fingers are a good toy. It would be fine if he only did this once in a while or did it gently, but it’s gotten to the point where it hurts badly whenever he does it and he nibbles whenever he can. Does anyone know why he could be doing this and what could be done to stop the behavior?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Is Sunny the beautiful Tiel in your photo? I have only experienced the nibbling with my female budgie, and she did it so gently, I thought it was really cute, and considered it like she was playing with another bird... but if it hurt, of course, I'd be trying to discourage the behavior. Can you divert his attention with a toy when he begins nibbling? Maybe act like it's the best toy EVER, and WOW, look at that toy... blah blah... overdramatic stuff.

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
Sunny is the tiel in my profile picture :xflove:! I’ve been trying to distract him with some other toys, and it works a little bit. However, my fingers seems to be a favorite of his to nibble on, so whenever I go to pet him or get him to step up, he’ll nibble on my fingers instead. I’m going to try to distract him with some new toys soon as well.