• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to start clicker training/step up?

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
so as some of you may know, I got a baby cockatiel Piper about 2 weeks ago at the pet store! she is an absolute delight. she was hand raised and not afraid of hands or me and my boyfriend at all.

I'm kind of stuck as to how to start clicker training her since she's not afraid of us. most of the things I've seen start with you getting the bird used to your hand etc. But with Piper, as soon as I open the cage door, if my hand is in there, she climbs on and immediately starts to climb to my shoulder. if my hand isn't in the cage, she'll hang on the lip until we give her a hand and she climbs up, or she'll try and jump for our shoulders.

also if she's on my shoulder sometimes it's a little difficult to get her off, she wont always step up onto my finger unless you really force her and when she does and you look at her, the first thing she does is try to climb down my wrist and back up my shoulder! rarely when she's tired she'll get a little nippy when we try to take her off, not badly but she will back up and do her squak (which I've come to think is her trying to hiss since I've never heard her do it) but then she will.

and if I try to give her scritches on her belly the first thing she does is try to climb onto the other finger, to try and climb up my arm.

I've been trying to be better with always saying up up when she does climb on up but admittedly I tend to forget :shy:

Millet is her favorite thing to eat so I wanted to use that as training.. but she also eats that in her seed dish because I'm worried about her getting enough food in her lil belly!

she's such a sweetie and I wouldn't mind not training her but I think it would be fun for both of us! I don't mind that she goes right up my arm and I don't blame her for wanting to be high up but she won't just sit on my finger and step up like the training videos I've watched so I'm a loss!

also is it too early? she's been here 2 weeks tomorrow and is opening up more and more the past few days, she actually got off my shoulder and wanted to explore the bed and floor a little. should I wait until she's fully settled in?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad Piper is so comfortable with you already! Would it help to have her stay on your hand by eating a longer Millet spray while there? Maybe you should keep the millet out of her cage, and save it for training so it's extra special.

You can teach her to stay off your shoulder by blocking the path up your arm with your opposite hand. When she steps on the hand that is blocking her path, move that hand (with her on it) away from your arm, tell her she's a good girl and give her a little millet berry. Keep doing this every time she runs up your arm, and she will soon realize she has to stay off your shoulder, and that your hand is the place she gets treats!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
like what has been said and i agree 2 weeks is too short of a time to get confortable

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
Keep working with her everyday for a minimum of three hours. The longer they are out of their cage and with you the tamer they will become.