• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to remove dried handfeeding formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am currently handfeeding a little quaker. He has no siblings and his formula runs down is chest when feeding. I wipe him up the best I can but that darn stuff just dries like cement. If he had a sibling they usually nibble on each other and take it off. Any tips on how to get this off the poor baby. He is still young, 5 weeks old and does the little quaker bounce when I feed him, he also continues bouncing for awhile and I think some formula bounces out and again down his chest.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
The easiest thing is to avoid the dried mess altogether...simply fold a paper towel into a 'bib', a long "v" at the front,
and close the back, behind the babys' neck, with a wooden clothes peg or a bobby pin. Feed the baby quaker, wipe his beak, then discard the home-made bib. This worked so well with our baby eclectus that I was handfeeding.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am going to try that one Doris, I have 11 very messy Cockatiel babies I am hand-feeding atm. :rolleyes: Usually after a feed, I will dab a paper towel in warm water and wipe the mess.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always made little napkin bibs. Really cuts down on the mess. You may want to just offer smaller amounts at a time to see if the dribble cuts back. Otherwise use a warm wet napkin or cottonball to soak the hardened food and dry excess water off. Keep baby warm. :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Quaker babies at that age can be really sloppy feeders. If they aren't quite hungry or if the temp itsn't quite right, they just let it pool in their mouth until it runs out the sides and down the front. I second the idea of feeding smaller amounts and let him swallow each mouthfull before giving more. Otherwise, I just do my best with a warm paper towel after and if they are a little gritty then so be it. The bib idea is a great one. I've never tried it.
Melissa

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I've always used a warm papertowel to get the dried food off, and that seems to work well. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
If it is already dried on hard you will need to get it wet again and take it off little by little.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for all the advice, but I have been whipping him up with a damp paper towel and it just seems to have caked up under his lower beak into big chunks. I will try feeding in smaller amounts, but he bounces so much and does the baby wing flapping at the same time that he just seems to be such a messy. I usually do not have this problem with babies as they usually wipe up clean with soft tissue, but because he is alone, I don't know it just seems to have piled on and dried up.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I read that build up of food can cause bacteria and yeast. It is probably going to take some time for it to all come off slowly, especially if it is in big chunks under the beak.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I always used the bibs to, but I just poked a hole in the paper towel and slipped it over their head. For stuck on, dried formula, I saturated a cloth washrag with warm water and just soaked the formula then it cleans easily from the feathers.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I always used the bibs to, but I just poked a hole in the paper towel and slipped it over their head. For stuck on, dried formula, I saturated a cloth washrag with warm water and just soaked the formula then it cleans easily from the feathers.
Oh geez, I never thought of poking a hole through the paper towel:)
I suppose a nice square of good quality fleece or cotton fabric would work well too.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for all the advice, but I have been whipping him up with a damp paper towel and it just seems to have caked up under his lower beak into big chunks. I will try feeding in smaller amounts, but he bounces so much and does the baby wing flapping at the same time that he just seems to be such a messy. I usually do not have this problem with babies as they usually wipe up clean with soft tissue, but because he is alone, I don't know it just seems to have piled on and dried up.
I've had that happen too. I'm always slightly envious of people that have really clean babies. I just can't do it. At some point when it starts to build up like that, I just soak with with warm water. It does come off ever so very slowly and usually with a cranky baby by the time its done. Sometimes you can get it to crumble or break up with your fingernails. Those babies with long facial feathers are tough. My amazon, parrotlet and cockatiel babies aren't nearly as much of a challenge to keep clean. Qs are just sloppy.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.