1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent How to pull a blood feather when you can't touch bird?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by becdimarc, 4/24/18.

1. becdimarc

becdimarc Walking the driveway

becky dimarcantonio
    I think Charlie broke a blood feather and I'm not sure what to do and I'm extremely upset because I can't pick him up to check it/pull it out

2. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    You have to stop the bleeding Now. Wrap Charlie in towel and get some cornstarch, take him in the bathroom or another small room. Get your finger and thumb and apply pressure to bleeding hold it tightly for several minutes. The pressure will help bleeding to stop. If it doesn't then take 3 finger pinch of the corn starch and apply it to feather shaft hold it tightly again with pressure.
    Birds can bleed to death if you don't stop the bleeding. It up to you to be strong and take care of Charlie now.

camelotshadow likes this.
  3. becdimarc

becky dimarcantonio
    Do I were the corn starch or keep it dry. I don't know how to towel but I'm going to try now! I just watched a bun h of videos

camelotshadow likes this.
  4. rocky'smom

laurie
    Cornstarch can be either wet or dry. I prefer dry but that is me. Remember Charlie is not going to happy about being toweled and he is in pain, so be prepared for a bite or two. GOOD LUCK..

5. becdimarc

becky dimarcantonio
    Got the blood feather ! Just not sure if I got it straight out! It was my first time. But I think I did. Going to call vet in morning to get him in! I applied pressure and put some starch on it ! My nerves are crazy right now! I felt so bad I cried when he squaked

6. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

It's ok honey, we have to do it sometimes,,,:hug8:

7. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    Honey, I cried when the vet tech held Buzzard for a nail trim. Yours was actual trauma and you have every right to cry your fool eyes out! Omg what a thread, lady. :faint:

Hotpockets, ConureTiel, Icey and 2 others like this.
  8. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:sadhug2:

rocky'smom likes this.
  9. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    I am impressed. :highfive: You knew what needed to be done, found out how to do it and threw yourself in because your bird depended on you. Bitey beak be damned, lady! :holiday1

Geez, I'm only reading this and my heart is still pounding.

10. rocky'smom

laurie
    GOOD JOB!!!!!!!

becdimarc and faislaq like this.
  11. becdimarc

becky dimarcantonio
    I did it without. Bite ! But now he just hisses at Me witch sucks but I knew it'd happen. But he cuddling my fiance lol but we are worried there is still a feather stuck .here are some photos of the feather. Does this look normal?

Attached Files:

rocky'smom likes this.
  12. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Sorry that Charlie had a broken blood feather. It's never fun to deal with that. It is possible that there is still a piece of the shaft remaining (hard to tell) but if you got the bleeding to stop I would leave it alone. If it happens again, if you can get the bleeding to stop without pulling the feather that's the way to go. I try that first and if it doesn't work then I pull. It's good that there were two of you there to help him!

kuiper.jpg

I had to pull these from Kuiper, 'tiel, one evening and there were even more that had to be pulled. They wouldn't stop bleeding. He broke so many when he freaked out. I think this was when he fell to the bottom of the cage after he chewed up the hanging part of a toy he was sitting on. He hated me for several days, would just stay in one area of the cage, hardly ate anything. He did recover from being traumatized. I felt bad but it had to be done.

13. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Oh my gosh!!!!!

14. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Is he still bleeding?

15. becdimarc

becky dimarcantonio
    The bleeding stopped as soon as we pulled it and applied pressure/corn starch . Then he cuddled my fiance for about an hour. And would hiss at me Everytime I got close. So I'm pretty sure I ruined any trust I had gained the past few days, but hopefully I can gain it back over time. When I latched his cage around 9 .I forgot to put the new lock we bought since he can open it. While he opened up and shot himself out the cage so I think that's when e broke it!

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  16. becdimarc

becky dimarcantonio
    Kyle and Charlie after the incident lol .he has really bonded to kyle

Attached Files:

sunnysmom and Tiel Feathers like this.
  17. rocky'smom

laurie
    Don't worry about the trust you will get it back. It may take some time and a lot TLC.make sure you are the person with the favorite treats

18. Clueless

At least he's alive.

I worry about losing that tiny shred of trust Secret has for me every single time I take that bird to the vet. What can we do? They have to have medical care.

faislaq likes this.
  19. becdimarc

becky dimarcantonio
    We took Charlie to vet, and all is well! We got the blood feather out properly and it hasn't bleed since! The vet was very kind and explained alot to me about the blood feather , demonstrated how to properly take it out and how to get it to stop bleeding and showed us how to properly hold Charlie if we have to towel him again since I've been so worried I did it all wrong yeasterday. But once she showed us and it was how we did it ( just not with as much ease of course lol ) my nerves calmed! But Charlie has let me scratch him all over today and even lifted his wings for me this morning so I could look at the area! So maybe he doesn't hate me as much as I think he does! He very much enjoyed the apple slices I gave him today and wanted to eat it out if my hand lol!

20. faislaq

Karen
    Oh, happy news! :laughing12: What a relief! I read again about blood feathers just to refresh after you posted last night. I've read them before, but I doubt I'll feel prepared. :shocked4:

I am glad your vet helped ease your mind and explained it all to you, but I'm even more glad that Charlie accepted scritches & snacks. :heart:

Clueless likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)