1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to play

Discussion in 'Linnie Landing' started by JapanBirdLover, 9/11/19.

1. JapanBirdLover

JapanBirdLover Meeting neighbors

Hello,
    I have a 4 month old linnie. Everyone says they’re playful but how exactly should I play with him? He has a big cage with ladders, rope bridges and dangling bells but what games can I play when he’s out and about?
    I heard they like burrowing under blankets... do you recommend I get him a small blanket to burrow under? Of course I’ll take care not to sit on him or let him get short of air under the blanket.
    He seems to love being scratched under the chin and climbing up and down my arm from my hand to my shoulder.
    Any recommendations for fun activities?

2. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    Hi!

Inside the cage: Gigi really likes toys made of sola wood, they are soft and able to be destroyed. She also likes bells and leather. She likes toys that can be manipulated, especially if they are long and she can drape them over a perch or weave them through another toy. Her cage is set up with 2 boings, a rope swing, lots of natural perches and usually about 6 toys at a time. I rotate them and put them in different locations from time to time. She especially plays with her toys when I am sitting next to the cage, maybe reading a book after dinner or when my grandkids come. I think she is showing off and it's parallel play like with children.

Outside the cage: Gigi has a double play gym with toys and boings. One corner of it is covered with a baby blanket and she often goes there first. She bites the hook under there and preens or sleeps. I have a sofa cover that has an arm cover, it gaps and she goes in there to burrow too. I also put a blanket on my lap and she likes to put her head under. So yes, I offer burrowing opportunities. I sit on the sofa and the play gym is on the coffee table in front of me. For hours, she goes back and forth. She plays and sleeps on her gym and pops over to me, on my lap or shoulder. When she is on my shoulder I ask her if she wants to go somewhere "Go see Daddy?" or "Take a bath?" or "Go get a Nutri-berry?" She will often stay and we do a little exploring of the condo. I also enthusiastically encourage her to fly as you will see in below story.

Gigi also does many trick whistles that I taught and many other sounds that she did on her own. I found that she learned most of what I taught by 4 months so you might have a window of opportunity right now to teach some words or whistles if you are interested in that.

Here's something I wrote a few days ago: I noticed that Gigi often flew to the sofa arm when I was sitting on the sofa. So I started saying "I want that bird right here!" while enthusiastically tapping the sofa arm. Now she nearly always flies there when I say it and tap. I also called her a "shoulder girl" when she popped down from the back of the sofa. So now I can ask "Shoulder girl?" and she will usually hop there. I also say "stretchy wings!" when she stretches out a wing so she does it over and over. When Gigi gets really excited she flies a loop around the living room while doing contact calls. I clap and cheer her on so she does it again and again. Yesterday she had that look in her eyes while standing on her cage door and I said "Be a fly-baby!" and she took a noisy loop around the living room. So all of Gigi's tricks started out as normal behaviors that I named and encouraged. But it's impressive. She seems to understand so much of what I say.

3. JapanBirdLover

Thanks so much for the reply Dona! Wood and bells I already in the cage, but no leather yet. I’ll see what I can find. I actually have a lot of toys for Apollo but I was planning on rotation so only two in the cage at once. But if you have 6 for your Gigi then maybe I should put more in. I have a boing that he hadn’t even seen yet.. I’ll try that tomorrow!
    I have a small blanket that I shall put in the corner of his gym. No burrowing activity as yet, maybe he’ll start with the blanket in the gym. By the way, absolutely no talking so far. What age do they usually start talking?

4. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    Let us know how the changes go! As far as toys go, I was told that Linnies like a packed cage. Less flying inside and more walking from perch to toys, etc. And she loves her boings!

Gigi learned many trick whistles and sounds from us early on, but no words. I think if Apollo will talk it might be very soon!

JapanBirdLover likes this.
  5. Leih

Leih Rollerblading along the road

Leih Pearson
    My boys really like their boing, they like to hop from place to place. They also really like chewing balsa, cork, and seagrass. I got them a seagrass hut and very quickly it was destroyed! They like sola too, but I haven't had any recently.

6. JapanBirdLover

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take a few more toys from the toy box and put them in his cage, including the boing. See how that goes. Tried a blanket last night but he didn’t seem interested so far. But if I lie down on my back and put him in my tummy he’ll crawl up my chest to my neck under my T-shirt.
    I’ll try to find something sea grass , too. Not sure where I can find that where I live yet.

Leih and Dona like this.
  7. Leih

Leih Rollerblading along the road

Leih Pearson
    I find some seagrass items in the section for rabbits at the pet store.

JapanBirdLover and Dona like this.
  8. JapanBirdLover

Thank you, Leih. I didn’t think of looking in the rabbit section. I can probably make at trip at the weekend to the pet store and see what they have.

Leih and Dona like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)