• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to place the perches in a rectangular cage

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
Hello,
I just bought a canary and a cage yesterday.
The cage is 23 inch long; 16 inch wide and; 14 inched high.

The bird seems OK; he sings and eats.

My problems is that he stays only in the lower left corner of the cage and and he does not like the perches.
I am wondering if I place the perches wrongly in the cage. They are places along the long side of the cage rather than along the wide side. Should this be the issue? Or maybe the thickens of the perches?

The fact of the matter is that he does not hop from perch to perch or sit on any of them.

Attached is a picture taken from the front ( the long side).
Thank you for your help. Giuseppe.JPG

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
The first thing to do is give him time to get used to his new surroundings. As he gets used to his new home, he will venture around the cage more. He does need a reason to move around the cage, a few toys hung. Start with one that you can hide treats in and he can chew on.

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
Thank you.

Hopefully he will feel better in time. I placed his cage in my office, where I spend a lot of time. So he is in my presence most of the day.
Do you think this would bother him?
Thank you.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like he is just scared and needs time to adjust to his new home.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thank you.

Hopefully he will feel better in time. I placed his cage in my office, where I spend a lot of time. So he is in my presence most of the day.
Do you think this would bother him?
Thank you.
Not at all! It will help with the bonding process to have him close to you. Talk to him while you are in there. Drop a treat in his food bowl every so often so he sees you mean him no harm. If he whistles, whistle back. Leave the cage door open (make sure no other animals are in the room, though). He will eventually settle in.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Yes, I agree. Wait a few days..he's just adjusting right now. You could put the food on the other side of the cage, and if he's frightened of people, maybe cover one end with a small blanket to offer a little privacy.
I wouldnt do too many changes/toys at first until he's used to the cage in general..then you could add toys slowly...one at a time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you'll move the perches to the ends, he can fly back and forth better. Canaries need to fly to be healthy and happy.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Yes, I agree. Wait a few days..he's just adjusting right now. You could put the food on the other side of the cage, and if he's frightened of people, maybe cover one end with a small blanket to offer a little privacy.
I wouldnt do too many changes/toys at first until he's used to the cage in general..then you could add toys slowly...one at a time.
yeah i didn't have any toys until my budgies settled in.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
you may want to shift the perches a bit so your canary has more flying space.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Lili hows he doing now?