• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to move a parrot from one cage to another cage?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have decided to take Paco with me out of town. He is currently in a large cage on a stand. I brought him home in my Amazon's old cage.

He stepped up on his previous owner's arm and she just placed him in the new cage. He stayed in this cage for 2 days while I cleaned his old cage. Getting him out was a challenge as I was nervous and scared. He wouldn't walk out of it, (it has a draw bridge type door that lays flat). So I ended up taking the top of the cage off, hoping he would climb out. LOL fat chance that didn't happen. I eventually just stuck out my arm and said step up. And to my amazement he did!!! Whew that was easier then I thought.

I have put the smaller cage in the room on the floor of course he is afraid of it. We are working on stepping up, I'm just not confident in my ability to be able to get him in the other cage. I can stay home and avoid this but there will be a day when I will need to put him in a smaller cage as I want to take him to the vet for a check up.

I look forward to everyone's advise.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Is there any way you can put the smaller cage high up near the other cage so Paco can get used to it?
You could try using treats to coax him into it...

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I was thinking of that. Placing the cage up next to him.. He loves almonds and his nutri berries. I tried to get him onto a T stand but that did NOT happen, even after the T stand was next to him for 2 months.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I've only ever had my birds step up and I put them where I want them.
If you can get him to step up you should be able to put him at the cage door and he will go in by himself?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
LOL I guess I could just try that. I'm over protective of this guy I guess. I think loosing my Amazon greatly effected me. Or is that affected? Any who, I just don't want to stress the guy out. I moved the cage in front of his old one. Total drama, he started to flap and got scared. Sooo, we will just take this as slow as we can. I have the door open for him on both cages, I was thinking of putting his old water bottle back in the smaller cage and an empty stainless steel bowl so he gets used to that as well. I'm ready to just stay home but he needs to know this cage anyway it will be what I take him to the vet in. Thank you for your advice.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I like Icey's idea that making the smaller cage appear very inviting, including toys, treats, and having it near his big cage, he may venture in to check out the cool stuff. And both you and Paco work on stepping up and trusting each other. Get that trust going. Your relationship will blossom and the two of you will help each other to grow more. MHO.
sherri

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well we have only been together for 2 months and he has been neglected, no socialization, cage bound for 6 years, no fresh food and Hartz Parrot seed. He has had a lot of changes in these two months, however he is stretching, preening, improvement in his feathers and eating. He has no favorite toys he is even afraid of the ones that came with him in his cage. He doesn't even shred up his newspaper, he's afraid of the paper. I don't think she even cleaned his cage, it was caked in crude with 4 inches of soiled paper in the bottom. We are working on stepping up. This group is probably sick of me posting about Paco.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Then it is wonderful that you found Paco, and I highly doubt anyone would get sick of your posts! We have a Goffin's that came from a very bad situation, and even though your road will be long to recovery, have no doubt that it will happen. Maybe not as fast as you would like, but it will be a fast as it can. Our Rio was kept in a breezeway, between the garage and the house, away from people, and the seeds in the bottom of his cage had sprouted and were about a foot high. So yes, they heal in their own time. Ours was not scared, but horribly angry and would fly at you, attack and draw blood. Good lord he could scream. Great times those were....(sarcasm)

We now have a new B&G member that is quite shy and we have had for a month, still not stepping up but does accept treats from our fingers. Very limited socialization in his previous 19 yrs. So I do not envy you, but I do understand. I get frustrated that in my mind he should already trust me, but in his mind we are up to something tricky. I also have to remember that I myself have trust issues with people and I have better control over my environment and ability to handle those I do not trust. (But my lack of maturity and mouthiness gets in my way!)

I guess every time he steps up, see it as a gift he gives to you. His gift of overcoming his past and trusting you. Some days are easier than others. For all of us.

sherri

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
We are all here for the same reason. To help each other and share ideas.
TBH i was terrified of Frankie, my male macaw when my husband brought him home.
I would sit beside him and talk to him softly and sing and just be silly through his cage bars.
Then one day my hubby said "you need to get used to him" and put him on my arm. I nearly peed my pants I was so scared.
Next thing he climbed up my arm onto my shoulder and i was like "okay that's enough for now. Get him off me"
Over the next few weeks he became a permanent fixture on me. He would wait up for me to get home from work to get some loving and kisses.
We would dance around and do silly things together. If I went into the kitchen he would pitter patter behind me. If I went for a bath he would wait outside the door for me, or sit on the edge of the tub and get a wee bath too. lol

I always say "patience is a virtue" in times like you are going through. If you don't need to rush him going into the smaller cage, just let him explore in his own time, and buy him new toys since he's having a new beginning in a better home :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Sherri. Paco is not my first scaredy cat. I had an Amazon for 25 years. I co worker's husband bought her from a pet store and they were told she was a male, 5 years old. I took her when they didn't want her anymore. Bugsy was a White Front Amazon, wild caught. She ate nothing but seeds and would not come out of her cage. I worked with her, she never talked or step up. She would fly to my shoulder for a peanut. I did get her to eat grapes. I lost her two months ago, she had crystals on her kidneys and severe gout. I could have kept her alive in a padded cage on medication the rest of her life but I opted to put her down. I still tear up. She was my best friend and companion for so long Even though she didn't talk we knew what each other was saying. She knew when I was leaving she figured out when I picked up my keys she would fly to her cage. She would bite only in fear so I never stuck my fingers in her face. I found the most wonderful vet through her, this man that didn't even know me hugged me! He sent a handwritten note in her sympathy card. He said she had lived beyond her life expectancy due to the wonderful care I gave her.

Although Paco is quite a challenge, I fell in love with him the minute I saw him. His filthy cage would break your heart and he plucked his neck and chest feathers. The smell was horrible.. I will never understand why people obtain a beautiful creature such as these birds and neglect them. I can't let my thoughts go there.

Yes it is a gift that he steps up for me. His little feathers (growing back in YEAH!) tremble when I get near him. His intelligence amazes me every day. He has started bobbing his head to music the last couple of days and he just cracks me up.

Thank you for your post.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh Ann I had to laugh out loud to your comment, "almost peed my pants" It does take some time getting used to a bird. Paco is bigger then my Amazon and man can he bite. I think we have solved that issue. I do so enjoy everyone's stories about their feather babies.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This group is probably sick of me posting about Paco
Nope, doesn't happen. That's why we have a forum.

My first transfer (for a vet visit) was up high with Secret. Held the main cage open at the top and she climbed into the travel cage I was holding sideways. My back hurts just thinking about the gymnastic marvel that was.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I think we should be ok. LOL I'm trying to vision what you must look like standing there with a travel cage sideways. I just wanted to see what suggestions I would get. I belong to several FB groups and they aren't as much help as you folks are. The things we do for our parrots.....

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think we should be ok. LOL I'm trying to vision what you must look like standing there with a travel cage sideways. I just wanted to see what suggestions I would get. I belong to several FB groups and they aren't as much help as you folks are. The things we do for our parrots.....
I was on a chair .....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Getting him out was a challenge as I was nervous and scared.

You've got to put an end to this right away. They can read our energy and body language like a book. If you are nervous and scared that will "automatically" make them nervous and scared. You've got to show confidence and calm energy. That is how you gain trust. Paco is lucky to have you.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You've got to put an end to this right away. They can read our energy and body language like a book. If you are nervous and scared that will "automatically" make them nervous and scared.
Oh yeah. Interesting dive to the basement during tornado alarm.

T stick missing bite sized chunks. Who wanted an almond to get in these cage when MY anxiety was up?

Storm passed now, all is calm.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
John you are so right. I know I'm being over cautious with him. He is so smart, and has had a rough life of which I only know about of the last 6 years. He is now lifting his wings when he sees me, stretches and no pinning of his pupils. I think we are making great progress.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Have you tried having him step up then put your other hand over his wings and place him in his travel cage.

I have to do this with Tinker every time. Once he is in he is fine.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I appreciate your suggestion. We have only been together for 2 months. He is adjusting well with the other cage in the room. I think we will be o.k. Fingers crossed.