• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make your birds not so scared

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
How do I get rainey and rascal not so scared of everything? Anything new, any new foods, any new room, any new toys, anything, they're always so scared of, and watching all the youtube videos of people with their birbs, they throw anything at their bird and their bird plays and has fun instead of screaming and running and being scared, of even me in those situations. What do I do?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Time and patience. Lay new toys where they can see them for a few days. Then slowly move them closer to the cages a little per day. Some birds need to be shown how to play with toys once they are not scared of being close to them anymore.
New rooms you can take it a room at a time. Stand in the door or hall close to the room. Let them see inside the room for a few days and then put a play stand in the room. Let them sit or play on their stand while you put away clean clothes, play on the computer, or talk on the phone in the same room.
Stand next to them and eat new foods, or try mixing new foods with old foods. Don't give up if they don't eat it right away. Some times it takes several attempts spaced over a few months to get them to try something new. I have started putting pellets into the chop just to make sure they are eating a little bit of pellet. They will eat the pellets well for a month and then not eat another pellet for two months. If I put them in the chop, I know they got some.

They just have to get used to their surroundings.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Cheeky doesn't seem to be afraid of most new stuff, but if I wear a new pattered shirt or wear a hat she won't come to me for awhile. I got her a fir platform to sit on and chew and it took two weeks of sunflower bribes to get her to walk across it . Now she sits on it a lot. Follow newbie gcc advice and it will get better with time

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Bird is very bold. But he doean't like new toys or food....unless we like them first.

My husband is loves buying Bird toys. But it seemed that Bird only liked our stuff. So now he pretends to play with and covet Bird's new toys, while ignoring Bird. Bird eventually gets curious and decides the toy should be his and wants it. Same with food.

It may be survival instinct, or just bratty birdy greed. But that's what I'd suggest.

But some things terrify Bird. The knee pads i used for gardening had to be discarded. I have no idea why but they scared him so much he jumped/flew off the patio and I couldn't get him to calm down until i figured out what was scaring him and threw them down a stairwell. There are a couple other things that either scare, excite or anger Bird, and ever will.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How do I get rainey and rascal not so scared of everything? Anything new, any new foods, any new room, any new toys, anything, they're always so scared of, and watching all the youtube videos of people with their birbs, they throw anything at their bird and their bird plays and has fun instead of screaming and running and being scared, of even me in those situations. What do I do?
Those people have "developed" their relationships with their birds over time. Time as in years. Not weeks or months. There are no shortcuts. You strive and work towards your goal a tiny bit everyday and when the time is right it will happen.

Consistency in all things you do. Learned and expected routines. And time.

https://www.parrots.org/pdfs/all_ab...enrichment/PS 19 1 Feb 07 Parrot Trust SM.pdf

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just an off the wall response...Carlton had high blood pressure and was freakishly afraid of things. Got his blood pressure leveled out and he was soooo much better.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
My birds are very different , one likes to throw a dish from the counter top, the two others hate that noise and get startled. What definitely changed is that my cockatiel is not so scared of new things anymore because he sees the other birds using toys or eating new food and he will try too.

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
I'm just frustrated because I've been working with them for about a year now and they still are scared of me

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The truth is Kaden that they are a pair. They have each other. They are birds. You are not.They know that. They really have no desire to be your friend (why would they?) so it's going to take some real over the top effort and techniques to become their friends.

Why is there so much new, new, new. That is part of the problem. They need familiarity. Consistent environment. Consistent routines. These are the things that promote trust, security and confidence. Not new things all the time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Curiosity can get you killed in the wild, so biologically it makes sense for them to be weary of new things.

Slow and steady wins the race.

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
The truth is Kaden that they are a pair. They have each other. They are birds. You are not.They know that. They really have no desire to be your friend (why would they?) so it's going to take some real over the top effort and techniques to become their friends.

Why is there so much new, new, new. That is part of the problem. They need familiarity. Consistent environment. Consistent routines. These are the things that promote trust, security and confidence. Not new things all the time.
Routines such as? And the only time they are introduced to new things is when our monthly subscription squawk box comes in, it's not so much the toys, they usually go right to playing, but the foods and me.