• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Make Homemade Bird Perches?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I like the chandelier look of it! :disco:
You have no idea of how much I was laughing when it was done. :D (but that is what happen when you have your foot in plaster and have to much excess energy :p )
That was really to much "bling bling" but he loved it! :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@Eloy - you are using zip ties to hold them together? would that work for a play gym? I would like to have a couple play gyms, being able to use branches from the mulberry and orange trees would be very nice. Both seem about a good diameter for a budgie. :)

I wasn't sure if I could use zip ties, or it would be better to get some bird safe rope.

As long as you check them regularly because even budgies will gnaw away at them and eventually break them. If you go to a place like an "electrical supply" they will have "commercial grade" zip ties. They are much tougher/stronger than consumer grade ones you'd find at walmart. They will have things like metal (hidden) to lock them instead of plastic. Made of neoprene or even braided metal. Neoprene is incredibly strong.

You will find using green limbs that as they dry out inside they shrink so all those fasteners become loose and will need to be tightened. I drill a hole and use a screw to keep stuff together. Do it once and forget about it.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I use the hanger bolt driver and have had no problems to date. Knock on wood...literally.

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
I've made my own perches for two cages now. I use the hanger bolt and 2 nuts with a hand wrench. I drill a pilot hole first, and then work up in drill sizes slowly so I don't split or crack my wood until it's just under the size of the hanger bolt. then I hand tighten the hanger bolt in using two nuts as a surface for my wrench. I like to do it by hand so I can feel things out vs a power tool.

to find hanger bolts you either have to order or look around the more "mom and pop" hardware stores. I have found that walmart, mernards, home depot, and lowes don't carry the right stainless steel ones.. at least in my area. I've had better luck with Ace and tru value hardware stores.

If you are using branches with a questionable or unsafe bark, soak them in the tub for an hour, and then a potato peeler works amazingly well at slicing off the bark.

As for "sanitizing" I always soaked mine in water and vinegar for an hour and then baked them in the oven on 300 for about an hour, then turned it up to 400 for 15 min. No idea if it was useful or not, but I always felt better about it. lol