• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to maintain harmony with cats and birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't count on that magic mesh door to stop a cat, at all.

With the small birds, complete separation is the only answer, IMO. Even with my Amazons, I have to be on constant alert. With my macaws, it's an issue of them going after the cats and dogs and possibly getting scratched or bitten defensively. I will be much happier when I have a predator free zone for everyone.

That was my worry as well. They would be completely separated...during the day the cats would be locked up in the bedroom/bathroom portion of the house, even when they are in the flight cages, and the birds would have the living room area (which also includes kitchen but they are not really allowed in there much anways. Then at night, when the birds sleep in the back room, they are always behind a closed door and the cats would have run of the whole house (besides their sleep room) at night.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
That sounds like a great plan, Shawna.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I lock my cat up when the birds are out, and when the cat is out the birds are locked up (behind a door).

We just moved, so right now we have a temp living situation where the big boys are in our dining room. We have to allow the cat out time, so when he is out and and the birds are just in their cages, we are always within visual distance of the room. He's not allowed to set food in the room they are in and he knows those are the rules or else mom wreaks havoc.

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
We have a large bathroom/laundry room. In there we have the cats food, water and litterboxes so they get locked in there 2-3 times a day for 2-3 hours at a time. Morning feeding, evening feeding and if I have time an afternoon snack. I put a blanket on the W/D and a couple beds in there and they are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.