• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to maintain harmony with cats and birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naiera

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Our cat is old ... almost 20 years old. She couldn't really care less about the birds :shrug: Since all three of mine are flighted I don't worry too much about the cat. She does her own thing and we've had no problems. They seem to avoid each other well enough without much help from me. Guess we are lucky there!

Animal_lover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
We have two cats. Since Jojo my Meyers became flighted my male cat CANNOT be trusted (not that you ever could anyway). Once, my Jojo flew out the kitchen and Tate (my cat) jumped at him...needless to say now we ALWAYS make sure they are locked in one of the bedrooms when the birds are out. The birds are not ALWAYS out but the cats sleep A LOT so I take advantage. I love my cats and my birds...I make sure they are both out enough which can be tricky. It's great that cats sleep so much :)

meaggiedear

Real Name
Meagan
4 cockatiels and 2 cats.

my cats are terrified of my tiels. they will hiss and lunge and the cats want no part of it. i always supervise, and i open the cage door and everyone climbs to the top where the play area is when they are out. The cats have free roam of the house.

They will follow the birds if the birds take off flying (like they can't help it), but once they land, it's like they remember that they are "crazy mean birds", take off in another direction, and won't remotely go near them.

It works in my house. I'm always cautious though. One day someone might get brave.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am with Shyra on this that after a long time they see each other so often that there is no reason for anyone like the cats to want to go after the birds. They see them out and about, they see me holding them and know they are here to stay. I feel that it is an acceptance of the harmony of the house and that they all belong to each other.

Right now, Kazoo is on a kitchen chair, Nitto my cat is sitting on the table next to me contently and Abby is on the kitchen counter just chillin' and Hoosier is up on the fridge. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well my problem is that it HAS been all rainbows and butterflies around here but now the birds are egging the cats on. The cats are reacting in a predator manner. The cats go after them if they are flying, in the window, on the couch, or on the floor. Being "watchful" at this point I know to be flirting with disaster. This is a development in just the last 2-3 months. Both cats and birds are bolder, less afraid, and taking more chances with the other. They used to ignore the birds. They no longer are. That is where my problem lies.

The fact of the matter is that I am human and incapable of watching 4 animals by myself 100% of the time. I'm looking for ideas beyond hoping for the best and being watchful.

I was also hoping for something more than locking them in a bedroom from the time we get home till bird bedtime. I realize that I created the situation by having both, but everyone is here to stay. My cats were here first and cats are my heart animal. And I'm not going to rehome anyone over logistics.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well my problem is that it HAS been all rainbows and butterflies around here but now the birds are egging the cats on. The cats are reacting in a predator manner. The cats go after them if they are flying, in the window, on the couch, or on the floor. Being "watchful" at this point I know to be flirting with disaster. This is a development in just the last 2-3 months. Both cats and birds are bolder, less afraid, and taking more chances with the other. They used to ignore the birds. They no longer are. That is where my problem lies.

The fact of the matter is that I am human and incapable of watching 4 animals by myself 100% of the time. I'm looking for ideas beyond hoping for the best and being watchful.

I was also hoping for something more than locking them in a bedroom from the time we get home till bird bedtime. I realize that I created the situation by having both, but everyone is here to stay. My cats were here first and cats are my heart animal. And I'm not going to rehome anyone over logistics.
Well I wouldn't get rid of any of my pets either. Since you know that the birds are seen as prey to them, now you just need to set it up for out of cage time with cats in another room. It can work out, cats sleep most of the time anyway during the day so they shouldn't mind going in a room for nap time while the birds are out.

You may never have a situation that allows the peace and harmony to have your birds out like some of us around our cats. But, atleast you know so now you can make the proper arrangements. I am also going to say smaller birds are toy like things to most cats and larger birds can be seen as something similar in size and a threat. I know one of my cats Nitto his ears go flat he closes his eyes and sits frozen until Kazoo stops flying and then Nitto jets if he has to. Kazoo is the one that goes after him. :eek: Yep, Kazoo is a bully for sure and poor Nitto is scared of him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Well I wouldn't get rid of any of my pets either. Since you know that the birds are seen as prey to them, now you just need to set it up for out of cage time with cats in another room. It can work out, cats sleep most of the time anyway during the day so they shouldn't mind going in a room for nap time while the birds are out.

You may never have a situation that allows the peace and harmony to have your birds out like some of us around our cats. But, atleast you know so now you can make the proper arrangements. I am also going to say smaller birds are toy like things to most cats and larger birds can be seen as something similar in size and a threat. I know one of my cats Nitto his ears go flat he closes his eyes and sits frozen until Kazoo stops flying and then Nitto jets if he has to. Kazoo is the one that goes after him. :eek: Yep, Kazoo is a bully for sure and poor Nitto is scared of him.
Koopa attacks Lydia at the site of her, so they avoid her like the plague :lol: Jingo, though, does not like confrontation and will fly away. I just fear he will not be quick enough one time! They don't have front claws but I would rather be overly cautious then overly confident.

Does anyone use a gate of some sort for their cats? Jasmine gets very worried if she is locked in a room and will throw herself against the door and howl for hours :( If I had a screen or a gate where she could still see out and hear, I think she would be much calmer.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you put the birds' play stand in a bedroom and be in there with them while the cats have the rest of the space? And the reverse when it makes sense.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Have you tried training the cats not to go after the birds? A firm "NO!" possibly coupled with a spray of water in the face when they show any interest in the birds at all. You can also shake a can of rocks or coins or a container of gum (the gum gets chipped though).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could you put the birds' play stand in a bedroom and be in there with them while the cats have the rest of the space? And the reverse when it makes sense.
It's possible, but I would still have the same problem with Jasmine....I tried to lock her out of our bedroom one week so she wouldn't wake me up for food, and she banged on the door for hours, and then went around the house knocking stuff over trying to wake me up....I tried to "wait her out" to see if she would stop, but every single night was the same. I don't know why she does that :( So when I mean "harmony" I don't mean I need everyone in the house to get along or even be in the same room...just somehow make it so we can come to a compromise.

My thought was maybe a gate of some sort to the hall...that would give the cats the two bedrooms and us and the birds the living room/kitchen area. The birds do not fly to the bedrooms unless we are back there as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Have you tried training the cats not to go after the birds? A firm "NO!" possibly coupled with a spray of water in the face when they show any interest in the birds at all. You can also shake a can of rocks or coins or a container of gum (the gum gets chipped though).
Oh yes. I have two very stubborns girls lol. When Jingo got here I started trying to train them to not even LOOK at the birds. But it isn't working, and it is just making them more rebellious :(

90% of the time we have no problems. Jasmine is in the bedroom right now, Lydia is on Josh's lap, and the birds are playing on a hanging gym.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
This has been on my mind lately because I would LOVE for my birds to be able to spend time with me in the main part of the house, and it has been very challenging to split my time these days between the bird room and everything else that I need to do in the house... My cats are quite prey-driven, and I can never, ever trust them to be around the birds, caged or uncaged.

Honestly, with birds the size of yours, Shawna... if the cats are showing any interest, I would no longer allow the birds out of cage around them. At all. I didn't post about it here (save through the now defunct blog section), but last year Lior came very close to being injured or killed by my cats when I foolishly walked out of the bird room with her on my shoulder. I assumed she would stay on my shoulder (and equally assumed that she would be safe if so), but she panicked the minute she saw one of the cats and fluttered off... Two of my cats went into instant OMG BIRD! KILL! mode, and I only just managed to save her by throwing myself bodily on the floor to tackle and restrain my boy cat before he could reach her. Once that 'prey' light clicks on in a cat's head, it is impossible to distract them.

I think a screen door would be a good idea.. My cats jump over baby gates, so that wouldn't work for me.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I agree, since you know your cats can't be trusted you have to take precautions and I applaud you for wanting to take steps so your birds are safe and your cats are happy. My suggestion would be a screen door (not a gate). From experience I know even an old feeble cat can jump a gate if something entices them even if they've never shown interest before. Since you already have proof there is a need for caution I would not leave the cats in the same room with the caged birds when you are not there to supervise since cats can get brave and curious when we're not around.

90% of no problems is a problem. :)

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
My Aviary has doors that rattle. My cat likes to rattle them . she doesn't look like she is in "prey" mode. Just paws them when the birds are down on the floor and it makes the finches fly to the perches. I am trying different cat repellents(non aerosol) I know this wouldn't work for free birds tho..
I have been using a spray bottle, but that only works when you are home. She does not like the spray bottle ,lol, she runs when I pick it up now.
I am getting a baby teil , so this thread does interest me. It will be out with me all the time and don't think it will know better to be afraid of her.
AND I know my husband won't lock her in a room, she is his "daddys girl".

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I choose to play it safe as I know that even the soppiest cat has a natural predator instinct buried inside and it could emerge at any time for any reason. I just try and keep everyone happy but separate. When I'm a work, the cats have most of the house but Titus is in his huge cage in his room with the door closed, so the cats can't even taunt him by sitting watching near the cage. As soon as I get home and before work, it is Titus time, in his room, free to roam and play with us. Once he goes to bed at 8.30pm and his cage is covered, the cats get the rest of the evening with us and they sleep on my bed at night. I'm a very cautious person, so I won't take any chances because I'd be inconsolable if something happened.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Although, our 14 year old declawed, over-weight Moogie (cat) is half deaf and blind and only moves to go to his litter box or his food dish, our recently acquired rehomed stray Tortoiseshell (although not yet showing preying/hunting behaviours) is restricted to the lower level of our house, which is secured from the rest of the house, when the birds are out.

Our main concern is our neurotic Miniature Poodle Coco, who (although has no teeth - literally - they have all been extracted by the Rescue we got her from, due to them all being rotted out) makes no secret of wanting to grab our Brown Heads and Cockatiel. She has no self-control and will lunge at my knees when she sees one of these birds on my shoulder (but she can't reach) and the birds have learned that she can't reach them.

But interestingly enough, for some reason that for the life of me, I cannot understand, she has NO interest whatsoever in our two Lovebirds, whom you'd think are prey-size and appetizing to her. My mother-in-law says that the reason for this is that the Lovies were already here when Coco came along, so she feels they have "seniority" in the "pack" (I think Coco views all living beings in this household as pack members). So Coco is kept outdoors when the fids have out-of-cage time. Now, keeping the B.H.s away from the smaller fids is a different story.

Our Hound, strangely enough, is the "Peacekeeper" of all feathered and furry family members. She gets extremely emotionally upset when any animal member shows any aggression towards any other animal member, no matter whether they are feathered or furry, and this alone, always alerts us to the fact that trouble may be brewing before it actually does. Interesting dynamics here.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I choose to play it safe as I know that even the soppiest cat has a natural predator instinct buried inside and it could emerge at any time for any reason. I just try and keep everyone happy but separate. When I'm a work, the cats have most of the house but Titus is in his huge cage in his room with the door closed, so the cats can't even taunt him by sitting watching near the cage. As soon as I get home and before work, it is Titus time, in his room, free to roam and play with us. Once he goes to bed at 8.30pm and his cage is covered, the cats get the rest of the evening with us and they sleep on my bed at night. I'm a very cautious person, so I won't take any chances because I'd be inconsolable if something happened.
Think this is basically what I will have to do. It seems to be the most suitable for our situation. I do think I will try to put the screen door next to the hallway though rather than a bedroom; this will make it so the house is divided into two sections and Jasmine should not get as upset with a little more free movement.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie

Think this is basically what I will have to do. It seems to be the most suitable for our situation. I do think I will try to put the screen door next to the hallway though rather than a bedroom; this will make it so the house is divided into two sections and Jasmine should not get as upset with a little more free movement.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
Do you think one of these screen doors would help you?

Magic Mesh Instant Screen Door ~As Seen on TV

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I wouldn't count on that magic mesh door to stop a cat, at all.

With the small birds, complete separation is the only answer, IMO. Even with my Amazons, I have to be on constant alert. With my macaws, it's an issue of them going after the cats and dogs and possibly getting scratched or bitten defensively. I will be much happier when I have a predator free zone for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.