• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to maintain harmony with cats and birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was wanting to know what your "system" is on keeping cats and birds both happy and safe when having both in your household.

Right now I have no system, and am realizing that I need to figure something out. My birds are free to roam around the house most of the day, and the cats generally stay in the bedroom during the day. I am interested to see how things are done by others :)

Please note that by "harmony" I do not mean that I want my cats and parrots to be friends!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My cats are older so they are not interested in them it seems due to the birds size. Now my parrtolet is very interesting to one of my cats. He could never be out with any cat or dog near. My problem is at times Kazoo goes after the cats. It is an eye on everyone when both cats and dogs co-exist. If you have an indoor cat moreso than indoor and outdoor they seem less prey driven. But you will never remove the prey instinct they have. Just need to be cautious no matter what.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jasmine just turned 11 and Lydia is 3 in October, both are 100% indoor. They were uninterested until they could fly. Now Jingo is a jerk and dives after Jasmine and pulls up at the last minute before contact is made. Koopa attacks Lydia.

I guess I'm wondering how people have things arranged to keep everyone safe. Obviously I watch as much as I possibly can, but its that 00.01% of the time that I looks away for even a split second that I am concerned about.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Shawna, with birds the size of yours, I would never trust them being out in the same area as a cat. They simply are prey sized.

Even with a bird the size of Ziggy, I have to be right there. In his case, not because he's prey sized - they would leave him alone - but because he thinks it's funny to go after them, and although they try to get out of his way, there's always the possibility of a quick defensive swipe of the claws, and that could be deadly.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't live with cats (anymore) but when I lived with my mom the cats just weren't allowed in my room. But that's not gonna help if you own your own house / if the birds aren't in a specific room! lol. You could probably close out the doorways with mesh and a baby gate or something though, to keep the cats out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Shawna, with birds the size of yours, I would never trust them being out in the same area as a cat. They simply are prey sized.

Even with a bird the size of Ziggy, I have to be right there. In his case, not because he's prey sized - they would leave him alone - but because he thinks it's funny to go after them, and although they try to get out of his way, there's always the possibility of a quick defensive swipe of the claws, and that could be deadly.
That is why I am asking questions. How do I separate, what kind of time tables, how much space for each? How do other people separate and do they just close a door, erect a screen door, give them a cat run?

I need ideas of how to be fair to everyone so that everyone is safe AND happy. I don't want to lock my cats up in a bedroom for 8-10 hours a day while the birds have free movement. That's not exactly fair to them. So I am hoping that those that have both can provide insight on what their method and procedure is to ensure safety for everyone :)

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Have you thought about getting one of those outdoor cat run things? That way if you close out a space for the birds that the cats aren't allowed, they'd still have lots of room to roam, and it would still keep the cats safe from outdoor hazards.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
My cat is only allowed in 1 room in our house. Merlin does not go in that room. In the winter months when she's in more often, if we want to share a room w/her, we put her in her crate when Merlins in that room. We do not 'share' areas any other way w/the kitty. She's a master bird killer :eek:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you thought about getting one of those outdoor cat run things? That way if you close out a space for the birds that the cats aren't allowed, they'd still have lots of room to roam, and it would still keep the cats safe from outdoor hazards.

not a lot :o: I am in a fourplex apartment on the first floor so it might be possible, but with us moving in May I don't want to get too fancy!

My cat is only allowed in 1 room in our house. Merlin does not go in that room. In the winter months when she's in more often, if we want to share a room w/her, we put her in her crate when Merlins in that room. We do not 'share' areas any other way w/the kitty. She's a master bird killer :eek:
Mine are indoor only cats, and Jasmine doesn't know how to kill :eek: she's caught mice in her younger years and never was able to kill any, and she is kind of afraid of birds because of a blue Jay incident. :o: Lydia I don't know what she is capable of and I don't want to know!

But perhaps a nice big crate for the living room is a good idea

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
Luckily our cat's activity levels are completely different from Pia's, SO in the middle of the day anywhere between 1130am and 330ish pm the cats are napping for the most part and Pia is wide awake, so the cats go in our bedroom for several hours and Pia gets to come out.
Now that we're moving, though, Pia will be getting her own room, no kitties allowed, which will be AMAZING.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You know those large ferret cages? The ones about two stories high? I outfitted one for my cat. I had it in my livingroom, and kitty could be out while the birds were flying about. She learned to love her evening sorties with the birds.

Never would I allow her uncaged near my smaller Goffin, those quick wing flaps get her into predator mode.

Luckily she never tried to attack through the bars, or those outings for her would have stopped post haste.

Other times she has her own room downstairs with TV and soft chairs to snooze in.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You know those large ferret cages? The ones about two stories high? I outfitted one for my cat. I had it in my livingroom, and kitty could be out while the birds were flying about. She learned to love her evening sorties with the birds.

Never would I allow her uncaged near my smaller Goffin, those quick wing flaps get her into predator mode.

Luckily she never tried to attack through the bars, or those outings for her would have stopped post haste.

Other times she has her own room downstairs with TV and soft chairs to snooze in.
That's an awesome idea :) One of those is near me on craigslist right now, too

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Titus lives in the living room as has free roam in there. The cats have the rest of the house when he is out. When Titus is visiting the rest of the house, the cats get the choice of outside or a room with a door I can shut them behind. Not taking any chances.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Titus lives in the living room as has free roam in there. The cats have the rest of the house when he is out. When Titus is visiting the rest of the house, the cats get the choice of outside or a room with a door I can shut them behind. Not taking any chances.
Do you have a door that separates your living room? My living room is open to my kitchen, and then there is a hallway where the bedrooms and bathroom is.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I do thankfully. Originally the room I used for my living room adjoined the kitchen, with no door. So I switched my living room and dining room about, to make sure my bird had somewhere safe from nosey cats

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I had the 2 cats first (Bailey & Scully). I don't think Bailey has ever killed anything. She tried to get a moquito once but it flew away when she lifted her paw. :rolleyes: (Her paws are fluffy.) Scully was more predatory and would catch mice if they were in the house. They both got bit on the ear coming too close to Pogo while he was on me. Bailey also hates the shrieks so usually stays out of the room they're in. They learned that Pogo was part of the family, not that I would really trust them but their attitude toward him was different. I got Poobs as a barn cat as I had a rodent problem after evacuating all the feral cats from the property (by catching & taking them to the humane society). They were sickly and I didn't want my alpacas & llamas catching anything from them. One time I had Pogo outside in a cage & Poobs saw him and was VERY interested in him. I thought she would be trouble. But once I sold the farm and she became a house cat she realized he was a house pet too and never gave him a second glance. He would chase her off the bed.

But after 7.5 years or more, Scully was starting to bother Pogo in his cage. His cage was in a common area but was plexiglas at the bottom so he was safe. But she found a loose piece of plexiglas and would bang on it. The cage had 2 levels so he just stopped going in the bottom for awhile. I noticed because that's where I put his seed. I knew then that a bird room would be better and also cheaper as I wouldn't have to heat the whole house day & night.

So now they are in a bedroom, door closed at night and baby gate during the day as it gets hot in there with the sun & door closed. The cats don't go in. They are old now too so can't really be bothered.

Even when Darwin flies on the floor, the cats just stay out of the way.

A friend of mine has her basement set up as the cats' area. She doesn't have birds but this would be a good idea for those that do. I have cat & bird stuff all over the house so pretty much all of it is theirs.

I don't plan on getting any more cats once mine go as I want the birds to be safe. Even though I'm not worried now, subconsciously I worry and wake up often thinking I left a bird out and the cat may have got it. I was, however, tempted by a 3 legged cat last week at Petsmart. The poor thing was having trouble and I thought he probably wouldn't be able to catch a bird if he tried. :p

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I have four inside only cats roaming free in the house. All are strays that ended up on my doorstep. Tux we've had 9 years which is just a little longer than our first bird Harley. We know he survived his first 1-3 years by killing and eating whatever he could find around the neighborhood. Maybe because all my birds are larger, but I've never had a problem with the cats and the birds. I've even brought in baby grackles and robins and raised them for release and never had a problem. My birds are only out of their cages when they can be supervised so that helps. In my house all the animals (4 birds, 4 cats, and 2 dogs) have to be able to get along in the same space. I think it could also be that we train them not to go after each other as soon as they become part of the family. That's the one thing we have always been consistent about with each of the animals.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Two cockatiels, two cats in our family (and 2 dogs, too, but this thread is about cats).

Bird cage is in the dining room right next to the family room, pretty much the center of the house. It's an A&E flight cage.

When I am home and in the main part of the house, the bird cage is open and birds can climb around on and in it. If I'm in a different part of the house, birds are in the closed cage.

Cats have full range of the house when we are home. When no one is home, they stay in the master bedroom/bath. They are mildly interested in the birds.

I may be a little more relaxed about it than some here, and we do keep a close eye on them. It works for us.

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
I have only two cats now. Harry has had the budgie cage over more then once. He is an indoor/outdoor now due to peeing everywhere and only comes in in the evening to sit with me for a few hours. Monty honked at him couple of times Harry backs down, but unless someone is with in arm reach he is not allowed in. But now munchie, he is to lazy to move and just don't care about birds. Sammy landed on him last week and he didn't even wake up. Sohe has alot more freedom. It my dogs which can be a pain in the butt. They love to lick the birds and wash them which the birds do not think much off and the poodle is blind anyway. But I don't trust cat,dog or birds alone. But if I thought that one or some was not happy with the set up I would have to think of rehoming someone and my husband said he will not leave lol. Shutting birds or cat or dogs in other room while others have freedom just don't seem fare to me. It's a juggling act most of the time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Two cockatiels, two cats in our family (and 2 dogs, too, but this thread is about cats).

Bird cage is in the dining room right next to the family room, pretty much the center of the house. It's an A&E flight cage.

When I am home and in the main part of the house, the bird cage is open and birds can climb around on and in it. If I'm in a different part of the house, birds are in the closed cage.

Cats have full range of the house when we are home. When no one is home, they stay in the master bedroom/bath. They are mildly interested in the birds.

I may be a little more relaxed about it than some here, and we do keep a close eye on them. It works for us.

This is how I have been operating, but things are starting to heat up with the birds antagonizing. I don't want to push the issue any further. :(

Shutting birds or cat or dogs in other room while others have freedom just don't seem fare to me. It's a juggling act most of the time.
That is why I want to see how other's do it, because I don't think it is fair either :( I just need to find a happy medium, because where we are right now isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.